Author Topic: Graham family from Obley New South Wales  (Read 1964 times)

Offline janiemae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Graham family from Obley New South Wales
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 10:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's correct "Dundee", that is incorrect information on those trees associated with Elizabeth May.  I may have become confused and thought that her mother was named Barbara.  Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 06:37 BST (UK) »
Following up on the Graham family which I have mentioned above,, John, his wife Sarah (nee Ingram ) and their many children, it appears that John did not go to the Obley area until 1866.

The story seems to be that they were married  in 1857 and began married life in Wellington, taking up land in the mid 1860's in the Obley region and naming the tract Dilladerry.

This means that John is unilkely to be Elizabeth Betsy's father if she was born in 1849 at Obley.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 07:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sue for your mighty effort, I appreciate the input.   I have been in and out of many a rabbit hole trying to find the answer to this .    It just might be one that has no achievable answer.   

Apparently when Elizabeth Betsy died after giving birth to Elizabeth May on 22nd  June 1887, the baby was looked after by a Mary Hilyard who was present at her birth and apparently I'm told was a guardian to young Elizabeth and gave her consent for her marriage to Samuel Sampson.  Mary is part of the Astil family I am told.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 08:58 BST (UK) »
For interest, this looks like Mary HILYARD, died 1928 aged 91 - nice obituary.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/132340940

Offline janiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maddys, a very nice read indeed.   I had a moment when I read "Springs Station", but the name Baird was associated with it.      I greatly appreciate your interest. xx

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 October 23 02:33 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you are interested in the Springs Station. It seems to have been in the family of Arthur Campbell BAIRD, this notice gives details of his family. Wife Isabella and sons Thomas and David.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/221701944

There are a few items about son David's discovery of some burnt human remains in 1859. They are named as "BEARD", but most references including NSW BDM records them as BAIRD.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/63596416

Offline janiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 October 23 03:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maddys52.  Interesting read whilst being somewhat gruesome about the human remains.   I think this line, will not give me any answers, but interesting anyway.   

I will have to just concentrate on the Graham surname and Elizabeth Betsy I think.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 October 23 05:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
A while back in this thread, you mentioned an indigenous connection, but did not further explain this.
Are you able to expand on that thinking?
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janiemae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 October 23 07:50 BST (UK) »
An Indigenous line comes from Elizabeth Graham's daughter, Elizabeth May.

Elizabeth May married a Samuel William Sampson ( this is my husband's direct line) and then later married a Michael Edward Kelly ( also my husband's direct line). 

There are a few gatherings of the May mob every year in Wellington I am told by a maternal Sampson cousin of my husband, who had been told from virtually birth that she is Aboriginal.

As both the May, Sampson and Kelly males are all British and Irish descendants, I assume that the Aboriginal line has to have come from a higher female in the line, i.e. Elizabeth Betsy Graham.   
That's my thinking and I'm happy to be corrected.

So, positive proof is DNA in the descendants of the Sampson family of which my husband is one.

I have also read a document that stated that Michael Kelly was associated with a "half-caste" woman.

Not to cause offense , a photo of Elizabeth May and her children that was passed onto me, have the appearance of being Aboriginal. 

Hope that helps.