Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 29th October  (Read 1469 times)

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 29th October
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 15:21 BST (UK) »
- With my luck, they'd be toxic toadstools! Loads growing now in my back garden over last few weeks, but I'd never risk it!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 15:31 BST (UK) »
I hope everyone who has been feeling ill has now recovered.  Reading the mushroom topic  bewildered me as I used to help an old boyfriend grow mushrooms.  I can assure everyone that cultivated mushrooms are grown in sterile  conditions.  In early days the manure consisted of straw and chewed grass that had been discarded by animals.  ;D 
   A pile of manure starts heating up very quickly and can burst into flames if not  "turned" before reaching 160 deg.F. 

My week normally consists of the same old same old actions of eating, sleeping and generally doddering about. 

This week has been different in that I've had to rake back into dark recesses of my mind looking for words that I've not used in a long time trying to explain to greenhorn middle aged son how to apply for a road tax licence for his first car and then explain to bewildered son that not only has the car to be taxed but that he and his car have to be insured. 

His older siblings and I all learnt to drive as teenagers but this one always wanted to be "green" and not contaminate the planet.  He's now learnt that Britain has moved on and nothing is strictly "local" anymore.   The main thing I've learnt is that everything now hurts the pocket and  costs an arm and a leg  :o
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 15:36 BST (UK) »
- With my luck, they'd be toxic toadstools! Loads growing now in my back garden over last few weeks, but I'd never risk it!
TY

Mushrooms usually have a pleasant smell.

I remember at school we were given the advice that after cooking in water a silver spoon would stay silver if  the water contained mushrooms, but would turn black if we'd cooked toadstoos.   How true that is I wouldn't know.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 16:19 BST (UK) »
Rena, I am going to  be hurt in the pocket,  I lost 50 % of my excess  all  because a silly idiot undertook me on a roundabout,  was not my fault but I haven't got the mental strength to go to court all for a measly £350, I am no idiot by any means but I just couldn't do it, I will  be clobbered next year by  insurance.

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 17:45 BST (UK) »
Rena, I am going to  be hurt in the pocket,  I lost 50 % of my excess  all  because a silly idiot undertook me on a roundabout,  was not my fault but I haven't got the mental strength to go to court all for a measly £350, I am no idiot by any means but I just couldn't do it, I will  be clobbered next year by  insurance.

LM

Oh hard luck LM.   I've seen so many TV documentaries about cheats and liars that there's no wonder insurance companies these days don't believe anyone anymore

I had already suggested to my son that he look on line to find a suitable car camera and now that you've written about your experience I'll jog his memory.

As we live in England, I'll point him towards these pages:-

links:-

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sqq/

https://www.theaa.com/car-insurance/advice/why-you-should-install-a-dash-cam

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 23:32 BST (UK) »
Quite another reason but very handy, we have a Mr.Nasty living four doors down from me.
During lockdown my son brought my shopping for me.
He was rushing because he had an appointment at Blackburn Hospital for a heart scan, and did not want to be late.
There was a smallish space just near Mr.Nasty’s but my son’s front bumper was just over the sloping part of a dropped kerb,belonging to Mr.N.
It was on son’s dash cam.
Out came his wife with a camera ,remonstrating etc, son apologised ,said he was off to hospital and would drop my shopping off and would be gone in seconds.
When Mr.N .came from work he came to me,screaming and shouting ,so violent. I said it was seconds only ,just a few inches on the sloping part and he was gone in literally seconds.
Next time my son came he was able to park at my gate - but along came Mr.N ,grabbed my son’s throat and forced him backwards into the boot ,son had a bag of shopping in each hand so was helpless .
It was disgusting ,son said would Mr N please look at the dash cam —- no of course not.
Since when Mr.N’s van is often parked outside my house ,to my other son ‘s who is here at the moment inconvenience - but unless you have a dropped kerb you have no rights re outside your home.But parking in front of my house saves Mr.N from moving his car when he wants to move his van!
We expected a visit from the Police but no, it was literally just two inches over the sloping part and for less than two minutes as I was waiting with the door open for the shopping knowing son was in a hurry to get to Blackburn.
During such difficult times too, a little give and take helps such a lot.
Neighbours have the assault on their CCTV cameras, and urged us to complain ,but we let it go.
I do however make models of Nr.N in blutack ,stick pins in etc but to date he seems hale and well ! >:(

Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 21:07 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, Mr N is a bully, if they aren't stopped they continue to bully, pity you hadn't have taken it further, he will continue to be a bully to anyone who dares to cross him even In  a minor way, I hope you don't suffer Mr N again, stick a pin in for me .

Not a lot going  on , not a bad couple of days after waking  up to rain both mornings but managed to get washing mostly dry on both days,  happy bunny.

Hope everyone in other parts of the country are safe and haven't been flooded out.

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 22:34 BST (UK) »
I too got washing out and dry ,a pleasure.
Mr, N —- well I plague him a bit ,he would love to ignore me but has to pass my back garden to put his bins at the collection point , I talk to him ,just “nice morning ,” etc it mortifies him—- and he does not reply especially if others are within hearing .
But they join in , so he is the odd one out . ;)some had the footage on their CCTV .
They said he ought to be reported ,I was shocked but not physically hurt ,but my son had a real justification as it was a physical assault ,but we thought just let it pass. I have never fallen out with neighbours .
As you say L.M bullies do not think as we do ,and get worse either way but he has now no reason whatsoever to do anything more so if he ever did then he is already on camera .

Nicer subject, I have changed my kitchen stuff — tea coffee and sugar jars for stainless  steel,also kettle and toaster .Cake storage  tins too,a nice change from the red I had before ,.my kitchen is shiny black- shows every finger print though .Took it all to the charity shop and so much other  stuff .
I did Gift Aid so they get more money ( Age Concern  ) well they have a new name ,’”age uk”.
Kitchen seems less cluttered.
Well time for a milky drink and bed.
Goodnight, hope all sleep well .
Viktoria.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 October 23 10:03 BST (UK) »
No dry washing here - it’s just rain and rain and rain. Not flooded , but no chance of washing drying or the final grass cut of the season either. Was told by a gardener that you shouldn’t cut the grass after November the 5th, so if it doesn’t dry up soon, my grass is going to be very shaggy over the winter!
North East of England