Author Topic: Canadian WW1 records  (Read 456 times)

Offline Stacey.tree31

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canadian WW1 records
« on: Monday 23 October 23 13:59 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone could help me try and find out if someone was in the Canadian army.

Henri Lacoursiere born 1896 in Montreal.

I'm trying to find out if he ever came over to England with the army before 1926 (when he married my great aunt in Ontario) I cant seem to find him on the 1920 census records.

She lived in Clowne, Derbyshire in 1920, emigrated to Canada in 1925 and married Henri in Windsor, Essex, Ontario in 1926. They both then applied for American citizenship in 1927 whilst living in Detriot. 

Did the Canadian army ever enter Derbyshire or surrounding areas?
Thanks

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian WW1 records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 October 23 14:55 BST (UK) »
His full name was Henri (H)Omer Lacoursiere and his WWI attestation papers and service file are available on Ancestry. Also available here:

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=508830

Indicates he was born May 31, 1896 in Montserf, Quebec. He names his father Joseph as his next of kin. He signed on in June 1916 and sailed out of Canada aboard the SS Scandinavian on the 11th September 1916 where he is first noted in Whitley, England; in 1918 he is noted in Carlisle. Later he is in Sunningdale, Bramshott, Ripon and Seaford. He was discharged in 1919.

Offline Stacey.tree31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 23 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that. I appreciate it. Wil take a look at the link

Offline Stacey.tree31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 18:39 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where I would find information on Henri lacoursiere being in ww2? He had emigrated to Detroit at this point. Thanks in advance

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 18:59 BST (UK) »

U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 November 23 17:14 GMT (UK) »
EileenWilson,
Thank you for putting the links in with your comments. That's the best way to help someone. It also allows the person asking to help someone else as well.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 November 23 13:17 GMT (UK) »
  I know this isn't your direct family, but I looked into the 1921 census. The Military papers EileenWilson found say he was in Smoky Falls in 1919 & tried all versions of forename with just surname L* in Nipissing. Makes me wonder if they didn't get out to some of the norther logging camps to enumerate. Saw that his cousin Honore was still a soldier in Simcoe 1921.

I did find a sister may have had a son's birth (registered) there in 1925
Délia Lacoursière & Ferdinand Charron- son R* Charron b. Dec-28, 1925  Smoky Falls, Ont.
https://www.gazaillegenealogy.org/tree/gazaille/individual/X3169/Romuald-Charron

His sister Blanche Lacourciére married Albert Dubuc , 28 Dec 1920 in Smoky Falls
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27D2-Q4L

Lots of the family & off-shoots also lived near many of the waterfall towns in Ontario which would have welcomed back the men to employ in logging camps, millls & log driving. While looking for Omer I found this lovely family page, & will share for others searching the surname.
 https://storiesmymothertoldme.weebly.com/photo-gallery.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Stacey.tree31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 February 24 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help. Sorry for the late response