Author Topic: How were electoral registers compiled?  (Read 797 times)

Offline Bogie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How were electoral registers compiled?
« on: Monday 23 October 23 14:17 BST (UK) »
I was just wondering about the process of compiling the electoral registers in the past.

Did the householders have to fill in a form like the census schedules, or did a clerk go from street to street knocking on doors? Where did they get their information?

I'm only wondering as I have an ancestor who is listed in 1932 with her husband at one address with her own residency qualification Rw but in the very same year she is also listed at her parents' house in another London borough, without her husband but with the same Rw qualification.

If the qualifying date was June 1st, how could she be resident in two places at once?

Thanks in advance  :)
Sasha.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How were electoral registers compiled?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 October 23 15:08 BST (UK) »
Up until the 1948 Representation of the People Act, property owners could qualify for the vote in multiple locations. Frequently you will see a small business owner qualifying at his residence and at his business premises.  At one time my grandfather was entitled to 5 votes due to his owning business premises, a farm and some woodland.  In the case of your ancestor that may have been the answer, although I suspect that her being recorded at her parents' address was a mistake, or done earlier, perhaps when she and her husband were living with the parents or before she married, and the parents forgot take her name off the register.
The registers were compiled twice a year in the Autumn and Spring, and the compilation process took several months. Initially, forms would be sent out for householders to fill in and then there might be follow up visits by the Registration Officer's staff if necessary. But amendments could be submitted  (say, by someone moving within the borough) right up to the cut off date (the so-called qualification date (1 June for the Autumn register and 1 December for the Spring one).  During the compilation period any notifications of deaths were supposed to ensure that deceased voters were removed from the register, prior to the qualification date.

Offline Bogie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How were electoral registers compiled?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 23 15:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Andy. That makes sense  :)