Author Topic: Uniform & Rank ID  (Read 400 times)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform & Rank ID
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 12:35 BST (UK) »
I have to say I was somewhat surprised that he made it to sergeant and earned his good conduct stripe, given that in 1916 he was getting into trouble on a fairly regular basis. Must have some sort of conversion, or got married - in my experience young soldiers getting married can result in major changes to their attitude and behaviour. Given that he's wearing his medal ribbons and sergeant's stripes, I would say this photo was taken in 1919 shortly before his discharge on medical grounds

Offline cally_c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 14:52 BST (UK) »
I have to say I was somewhat surprised that he made it to sergeant and earned his good conduct stripe, given that in 1916 he was getting into trouble on a fairly regular basis. Must have some sort of conversion, or got married - in my experience young soldiers getting married can result in major changes to their attitude and behaviour. Given that he's wearing his medal ribbons and sergeant's stripes, I would say this photo was taken in 1919 shortly before his discharge on medical grounds

He wasn't the best behaved Sapper was he?! In 1908 he'd been fined 10s for using obscene language in Nottingham. It wasn't a wedding that changed him, he didn't get married until 1922, perhaps it was meeting his future wife.

I did a series of blog posts about his experiences a while ago; https://carolineschroniclesblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/14/military-monday-percival-richardson-royal-engineers-part-i/

ANTHONY Derbys
BAKER Staffs; Notts
BATEMAN Headington, Oxon; Notts
BATES Hawthorpe, Lincs; Notts
BURN Derbys`
CLAMP Derbys; Leics; Staffs
EDEN Derbys
FARMER Derbys
FREEMAN Derbys
FRISBY Derbys
HAY(E)S Derbys
HOLMES Derbys
JOWETT Derbys; Notts
LEA Derbys
MORTON Derbys
PANCUTT Berks; Oxon
OLDHAM Notts
PERCIVAL Manchester
RICHARDSON Nth Yorks; Notts
THEOBALD Derbys
WALLIS Derbys
WHYMAN Derbys
WOOD Derbys

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 15:27 BST (UK) »
The blog is great. I'm pleased you now have a confirmed photograph of Percy to go on the blog.

Offline cally_c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 15:41 BST (UK) »
The blog is great. I'm pleased you now have a confirmed photograph of Percy to go on the blog.

Thank you. And thank you for your help
ANTHONY Derbys
BAKER Staffs; Notts
BATEMAN Headington, Oxon; Notts
BATES Hawthorpe, Lincs; Notts
BURN Derbys`
CLAMP Derbys; Leics; Staffs
EDEN Derbys
FARMER Derbys
FREEMAN Derbys
FRISBY Derbys
HAY(E)S Derbys