Author Topic: Betty Dormody Help  (Read 163 times)

Offline LaurenMay96

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Betty Dormody Help
« on: Tuesday 24 October 23 02:15 BST (UK) »
Trying to find more information on my great auntie. Birth name Betty born 3rd august 1940. She was adopted. Need help

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Betty Dormody Help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 23 06:08 GMT (UK) »
There are 4645 girls named Betty registered London/Middlesex 1940

So is Dormody her married name or the name she was given at adoption?

We need more to go on.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Betty Dormody Help
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 23 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning and Welcome to Rootschat.
Sorry but I'm a little unclear as whether you have her original or birth name in  1940 and want to trace what happened to her after adoption or you are the adoptive family looking to find her birth family.

There is a birth registered Mar qtr 1941 at East Ham. Mother's maiden name is Dormody .

Is this her?
As we do not know if she is alive or dead ,we really can't go further than that.There are legal issues to consider for living people. We are not supposed to discuss or search for the living.

But can I suggest if you are the  birth family  trying to trace her now  that you register with one of the official intermediaries and say you are happy to have contact if she contacts you.
And if you are the Adoptive family looking the other way round there should be a file for her adoption she can take a look at. and get more details.

You could of course take a DNA test and see what comes up amongst the matches. There should be some cheap offers available at Christmas time. Once processed it may be immediately obvious if there is a match.

But if you are the birth family ,then think that she would be 83 now and may ,if still alive ,not aware she was adopted.I don't and I'm sure you wouldn't want to upset an old lady with distressing truths of her birth  she was unaware of.
It  can be a really sensitive topic .
There are several Dormody of East Ham family trees on Ancestry which can usually be viewed for free at your local public library.One does suggest they have taken a DNA test so they would show up if you did the same or you could contact them for traditional information.
We will try to help but please be aware many of the records for that date are shut for privacy reasons. If she was a year older and appeared on the 1939 index we would know she had sadly passed away and could be more open but there are still privacy concerns.

If you could be clearer perhaps we could try and give more help. But I still think you best bet would be official channels and paperwork or a DNA test.

Ciderdrinker