Author Topic: Gregory Dowds and Ann Jane McConville death  (Read 470 times)

Offline thedesman1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gregory Dowds and Ann Jane McConville death
« on: Tuesday 24 October 23 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to trace birth, marriage and death records of my 3x great grandparents that came from Ireland but so far have been unable to find any records aside from their names held within Scottish records of their son James Dowds (marriage and death)

Gregory Dowds
Ann Jane McConville

They were both from Ireland (as was James) but I don't know which area or county. Their son James Dowds was estimated to be born approx 1852 and emigrated to Glasgow, Scotland. He then married Helen (Ellen) McTavish in 1877 in Glasgow and both his parents are listed as deceased so I know they died before this date. James died age 40 in Glasgow in 1893. It would be great to identify James' birth record too.

I'd really like to find out which part of Ireland they came from and their birth, marriage or death dates. If anyone has any information or suggestions that would be much appreciated?

Thank you.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gregory Dowds and Ann Jane McConville death
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 16:20 BST (UK) »
Were they Catholic?
There is this possible baptism:
James Dowde baptised 26th December 1846
Parents Gregory Dowde and Jane McConvill
Seagoe parish, Armagh
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633260#page/95/mode/1up
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 16:22 BST (UK) »
Marriage Catholic Register:

1st February 1845 Address: Derrycor Parish: Seagoe Alternative Parish Name: DerryMacash
County: Armagh

Gregory Doarde(looking at record it says Dowde)
Ann Jane McConvill

Looks like two witnesses are Mary and Margaret McConvill(writing is poor)

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 16:30 BST (UK) »
Maybe a remarriage for Ann Jane :-\

20th April 1860 Seagoe
Address: Ballynomony Armagh

Anna Jane Dowde
William James Coleman

There is a baptism for an Anna Jane Dowde in 1838 Seagoe, so probably not a remarriage

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 21:59 BST (UK) »
Marriage Catholic Register:

1st February 1845 Address: Derrycor Parish: Seagoe Alternative Parish Name: DerryMacash
County: Armagh

Gregory Doarde(looking at record it says Dowde)
Ann Jane McConvill

Looks like two witnesses are Mary and Margaret McConvill(writing is poor)

Do you think the residence is Drumgor on the marriage record?
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633261#page/37/mode/1up

Drumgor townland
https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/oneilland-east/seagoe/kernan/drumgor/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 October 23 23:10 BST (UK) »
The following baptism took place in Shankill RC Parish, on 30 November 1844, the location is consistent with Drumgor:

John of Gregory Dowd & Jane McConville | Lurgan SS Robert Buntin & Ann Walsh (Illeg.)

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633281#page/89/mode/1up

In Shankill RC Parish on 16 May 1839, a daughter Catherine was baptised for John McConville and Mary McLindon of 'Leggacurry' (Legaghory is a neighbouring townland of Drumgor), the sponsors were Gregory Dowd and Ann McConville:

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633281#page/65/mode/1up

BTW, there was a lengthy story in the Northern Whig of 11 March 1843 about a court case involving intimidation and a shooting in the Lurgan area, at which a Gregory Dowd was called as a witness and he stated that he lived in 'Leggycorry'  and was a weaver and that he was 'upwards of twenty years of age'.

Offline thedesman1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 01:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for some really good leads, definitely very plausible. I'm fairly sure they were catholic as most of their descendants were. There were word of mouth stories passed down my family that they came from Armagh which matches up with these.

I was wondering why it's not been possible to find any death records for them. Does anyone know where I might find these?

gaffy: the story you referred to in the Northern Whig, would you be able to share the full story or do you know how I might be able to read it?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 07:58 BST (UK) »

gaffy: the story you referred to in the Northern Whig, would you be able to share the full story or do you know how I might be able to read it?

At about two columns length of a full sized newspaper, the article is far too long to retype here, I read it on the British Newspaper Archive website, which is operated by the Findmypast company and it should therefore be available via the main Findmypast website as well.  In short, the article was an account of the County Armagh Assizes Crown Court proceedings at Armagh on 8 March, when a number of men were acquitted of activity including intimidation and firing off shots at the house of a local linen manufacturer who was allegedly paying his tenant weavers less than other manufacturers. The manufacturer had asked one of the men (a tenant) to move out of his house and there were accusations of 'whiteboy' activity. A large reward played into this story as well, with Gregory Dowd commenting that it "would get a weaver a smart snug house".

The article gives a sense of the subsistence level at which folk were living and the associated social unrest, I further noticed that Gregory said that he had no house of his own, that he just paid for his food and that he had been weaving for 8 - 10 years, which sounds about right for someone in their early to mid twenties.

Offline thedesman1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 12:22 BST (UK) »
gaffy: thanks, really interesting, I will see if i can locate the full article on Find my Past.