Author Topic: Illegitimate children not with mother  (Read 913 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate children not with mother
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 October 23 19:47 BST (UK) »
.... (There is still the question of what happened to Margaret after Jean's death in 1904, but I will start another thread on that !  :))

Have you checked and discounted this death for Margaret, the same year mother died?

MAGGIE ROBERTSON
Age 43
Mother's maiden name WHITTON
Ref 685 / 2 / 10
St Andrew (Edinburgh)

Added: Margaret showed as unmarried in 1901 and living with her mum in St Andrew's district in Edinburgh?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 October 23 19:52 BST (UK) »

Plus, I'm not sure the John Robertson on 1861 with the Stalkers is the one we're looking for, given this baptism

Name    John Robertson Whittet
Birth    27 Feb 1855    Dundee
Mother    Euphemia Whittet

Well done, Mabel, for sorting out that John's details  :)

Have tried searching the transcripts for just John, with any surname, born in Dundee 1855/6 and nothing really jumping out for him except this entry as discussed above.

Monica

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 October 23 20:06 BST (UK) »
I have a young woman in OHs tree, who disobeyed her parents and followed a young captain down from Scotland to London.  He sailed away and drowned when his ship was sunk, leaving her all alone with a baby on the way.  She did eventually find a job as a female servant and the census shows her with two other maid servants but no child.  The three maids kept the young tot hidden in their servant quarters in the bottom drawer of a chest of drawers.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 October 23 20:11 BST (UK) »
Must have been so very hard to keep the little one quiet, Rena!

Inspired by a bit of lateral thinking today, I wonedred if Margaret had died before her mother, between 1901 and 1904.  Sure enough, I found her death on SP on 1st January 1904, at Rose Street, Edinburgh.  Once again, it gave her wrong age, but all the other details are correct.

Informant was her sister in law , Betsy, as with the death of jean later that year.

See from your new post that you checked that death and it was the right one for Margaret. Would explain why John Robertson's wife Betsy reported Jean's death that year.

Monica

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 October 23 21:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks Monica.  I spent years wondering what happened to Margaret after her mother's death, but only today thought of looking BEFORE her death!  Just shows how easy it is to become too focused on one idea.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 October 23 08:56 GMT (UK) »
(There is still the question of what happened to Margaret after Jean's death in 1904, but I will start another thread on that !  :))
Please don't start a new thread about the same family. Keep it all in the same thread to avoid possible duplications of effort. Also it gets very confusing if information about the same people is spread over a multiplicity of threads.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.