Author Topic: Jessie Jack (1836 - 1915)  (Read 262 times)

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jessie Jack (1836 - 1915)
« on: Wednesday 25 October 23 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have Jessie Jack (1836 - 1915) and her husband John Anderson (1841 - 1919), of Dunkeld, on my family tree. This was based on BMD and Census records. I was unable to find their marriage, but I came across two rather confusing records.

Both records are on Findmypast:

Jessie Jack married John Stewart on 19 Jun 1863 at Dunkeld.

Margaret Campbell Anderson was born at Dunkeld in 1864 with parents Jessie Jack and John Anderson.

Are these two different Jessie Jacks or did John Stewart change his name for some reason, or is there some other explanation, please?

Thanks,

Gordon

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Jack (1836 - 1915)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 07:39 BST (UK) »
Good luck on the hunt - Gordon.
I am not able to help you in your immediate quest.
However i am interested in the two surnames that you have posted - Jack and Anderson.
They are both associated with Kettins which is not far from Dunkeld.
These are my threads if anything gells, i am happy to chat.
Andrew ANDERSON.b.1765.Kettins.Angus.d.Angus?.m.Jean WILSON.b.7.5.1769Kettins.d.Angus?
James HACKAT.bc.1664Kettins Angus.d.?.m.9.11.1679Kettins Angus. Jean JACK.b.9.11.1679 Kettins Angus.

I am off to the Dunkeld Racing in 3 weeks - That is Dunkeld, Victoria, Aust.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 08:53 BST (UK) »
What FindMyPast has is an index to the original records, and very useful it is too, but it does not include all the information on the original documents, and you need to see that to sort this out.

The original birth certificate will tell you the date and place of the parents' marriage, if they were married, and the marriage certificate will tell you the full names of the couple's parents including their mothers' maiden surnames.

Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits and use them to download the original 1863 marriage and 1864 birth certificates, and compare the information on them.

If the marriage date quoted on the birth certificate matches that on the marriage certificate, they will be the same couple.

If the names of the couple's parents on the marriage certificate match those you are researching, perhaps the registrar made an error, or it is incorrectly indexed.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 14:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks - That worked out all right.

Jessie Jack was the same person in both records and she married John Anderson on 19 Jun 1863, not John Stewart, as stated on the 1863 Marriage record. All subsequent census and death records indicate the Anderson name.

Gordon

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 17:25 BST (UK) »
So you are saying that John Anderson is incorrectly indexed as John Stewart? Please use the 'Report an error' button on the image page to have this corrected.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 19:45 BST (UK) »
Yes - I've done that.

Gordon

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 October 23 20:57 BST (UK) »
:)

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 October 23 15:06 BST (UK) »
Scotland's People have replied:

This may have been a recording error by the registrar as your research suggests. We aren't able to investigate or correct historical records however so this anomaly will have to remain as is. The index also has to reflect the records as they were written so we won't be able to change that on this occasion.

Gordon