Author Topic: A baptism for Henry Drake (1650-onwards)  (Read 199 times)

Offline SamuelF992

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A baptism for Henry Drake (1650-onwards)
« on: Wednesday 25 October 23 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm looking for a baptism for Henry Drake. He married Priscilla Herring in Heavitree, 1697 and they had 12 children together in Awliscombe. Priscilla was born Sidmouth, 1675. I know it's not the Henry Drake born 1673 in Ermington as he is buried at Lympstone in 1717. There are other Henry's in the 1670s born in North Devon.

The only other possibility I've found is Whitchurch in 1648. This would likely connect him to the Francis Drake family and there are public trees on Ancestry citing this as his baptism, but I know not to trust those and especially when there is an incentive to find a link to a historical figure! It would also make him 71 at the birth of his youngest child.

The only thing that makes me consider this baptism more is Henry's descendants were keen to keep the "Drake" name in the family, with it frequently appearing in middle names until the 1900s, including some people straight out called Francis Drake (x). My grandad also said that he'd been told his family was related to Francis Drake. Obviously this could have just been them creating a link based on the surname that didn't actually exist.

If it's any help, Henry and Priscilla's children were:

John, Samuel, James, William, Francis, Thomas, Elizabeth, Mary, Philip, Anna, George.

Thank you
Samuel
2nd generation - Fawcett, Elsbury, Sanders, Aldridge
3rd - as above, Hutchison, Babb, Enticott, Edwards
4th - as above, Turner, Bater, Marshall, Webb, Chick, Cottey, Tozer, Rowland
5th - as above, Broomfield, Fry, Wood, Clark, Baker, Boyland, Lane, Bryant, Pearce, Carey, Bailey, Freeman, Hill

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A baptism for Henry Drake (1650-onwards)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 October 23 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
The marriage in 1697 says he is from Salcombe and she is from Sidmouth.
I'm guessing Salcombe is Salcombe Regis rather than the one down the coast.

The burial for Henry is not correct.
His gravestone at Lympstone gives his parents and spouse and it's Prudence not Priscilla ,children Dorothy, Francis and Gertrude.
Sorry
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/167580141/henry-drake?_gl=1*ziqrbg*_gcl_au*MTU0OTgwMDEwNC4xNjk4NDAwNjYw*_ga*NDc1MDU3MDUyLjE2OTg0MDA2NjY.*_ga_4QT8FMEX30*ZTc2YjA1MzctMDA4Ny00NTEzLWIyNzctMWRlYTBmZmZmZDMzLjIuMS4xNjk4NDA3MDQ1LjYwLjAuMA..*_ga_6R6RRSB9ZD*ZTc2YjA1MzctMDA4Ny00NTEzLWIyNzctMWRlYTBmZmZmZDMzLjIuMS4xNjk4NDA3MDQ1LjAuMC4w

It looks like Priscilla buried Awliscombe 4 Aug 1751
which means Henry Drake buried there  2 June 1743 would fit.
And there was an Admin to Priscilla relict granted 1744.

Ciderdrinker

Offline SamuelF992

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: A baptism for Henry Drake (1650-onwards)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 October 23 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. Yes Salcombe Regis makes more sense there. Just checked out the Drakes in Salcombe Regis and there are similar names there which would seem to indicate the same family, now just to track down Henry! Thank you
2nd generation - Fawcett, Elsbury, Sanders, Aldridge
3rd - as above, Hutchison, Babb, Enticott, Edwards
4th - as above, Turner, Bater, Marshall, Webb, Chick, Cottey, Tozer, Rowland
5th - as above, Broomfield, Fry, Wood, Clark, Baker, Boyland, Lane, Bryant, Pearce, Carey, Bailey, Freeman, Hill