Author Topic: Castlepollard Mother & Baby Home / Sacred Hearts Home  (Read 267 times)

Offline CiJaNiPa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Castlepollard Mother & Baby Home / Sacred Hearts Home
« on: Thursday 26 October 23 04:27 BST (UK) »
Were there other Roman Catholic orphanages Co. Westmeath in the 1940s aside from Castlepollard Mother & Baby Home?

I'm trying to find the birth family (mother and father names if possible) of a child adopted from an orphanage in Westmeath in 1945. He was baptized RC. He was adopted at age 4 by Catholic Irish-Americans.

I'm wondering if it was Castlepollard or if it could have been another "orphanage" in Westmeath during that time. I've only seen that one that is specifically RC.

(He and his adoptive parents and sibling are no longer living, so...can't ask them. I just know they called it an orphanage and that it was in Westmeath.)

Also, was the Castlepollard Mother & Baby Home *only* for unwed mothers, or did it also serve as a true orphanage?

I'd like to learn more about Castlepollard and other mother & baby homes. But more than anything else I wish birth and adoption records from the mother & baby homes were readily available for those researching ancestry. (I have contacted Tusla but have not heard back yet.)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Castlepollard Mother & Baby Home / Sacred Hearts Home
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 October 23 09:01 BST (UK) »
Can’t answer you question on other orphanages however there is a Facebook private group for Castlepollard Mother and Baby Home which might be worth joining.

I have a similar case from the 1960s, the child was in Castlepollard until the age of 2 years but was then issued an Irish passport, sent to the USA and adopted via the US system so Tusla don’t have any records for the child. I don’t know if they used this method in the 1940s but it’s worth keeping in mind.

The child is no longer living and had no children but we were able to join the contact register in case any of the birth family are looking for him.