Author Topic: Giblins and Nilands (Neilans) in Carrowgarve, Tibhine, Roscommon  (Read 234 times)

Offline Maureen99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Giblins and Nilands (Neilans) in Carrowgarve, Tibhine, Roscommon
« on: Friday 27 October 23 18:05 BST (UK) »
I am trying to learn more about my ancestors in Carrowgarve (Carrowgariff), Tibohine, Roscommon.

Specifically, want to learn more about the marriage of Patrick Neilan (Niland) and Margaret Giblin.  I have solid family evidence that they were both from Carrowgarve. 

I have found both family names on the Irish Tithe Applotment for Carrowgariff, Roscommon, AND Griffith's Valuation.  I now know which tenant farm plots were leased by the Nilands and the Giblins.
 They lived very near each other, which is exciting -- BUT there are several families of each name in Carrowgarve, so I don't know exactly how the families are related.  (Everyone seems to be named Thomas and James and Michael and Patrick, lol.)  I hope I'm being clear, although I fear I'm not...

Patrick Niland (Neilan? Neilon?) was born about 1810, and died after 1863.  He might have migrated to the UK, but he never immigrated to the US.  I would love to know who his parents are.

Patrick married Margaret Giblin, born in November, 1819 (year of birth), died April 13, 1914 in Meriden, CT, USA. She and Patrick had four children:  Thomas Anthony (b.1850 in Wolverhampton, UK); James John (b. 1852 in Carrogarve); Marcella (b. 1861 in Carrowgarve); Margaret (b. 1863, possibly in the UK).  Patrick Niland died sometime after 1863.  Margaret Giblin Niland and her children all immigrated to US at various dates in the 1880s.

Specifically, want to learn more about the marriage of Patrick Neilan (Niland) and Margaret Giblin and their parents' names.   Can anyone help me to know where I might find birth and marriage records for Carrogarve, Roscommon during that time period?   

Thanks for any help!

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Giblins and Nilands (Neilans) in Carrowgarve, Tibhine, Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 November 23 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello

There was a married Patrick Neilan in Roscommon who died in 1874 at age 63, IE: born 1811

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1874/020651/7246223.pdf

Only age-appropriate one in the list
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 November 23 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Fathers / parents weren't routinely recorded for marriages in the era that you're seeking and, if this is the correct one, it's no exception. It took place in Tibohine RC parish on 28 February 1843, the witnesses were Michael Callaghan and James Giblin:

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633965#page/280/mode/1up (right hand page, half way down)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 November 23 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Same named couple, same parish, 10 January 1844, a son Thomas was baptised, the sponsors were Thomas and Marcella Giblin:

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633965#page/135/mode/1up (right hand page)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 November 23 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Same named couple, same parish, 17 December 1851, a son James was baptised, the sponsors were Thomas Nilan and Marcella Giblin:

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633965#page/196/mode/1up (left hand page)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 November 23 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Same named couple, same parish, 8 October 1854, a daughter Margaret was baptised, the sponsors were Michael Cunningham and Catherine Charon (?):

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633965#page/210/mode/1up (bottom of left hand page)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 November 23 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Same named couple, same parish, 24 February 1859, a son Patrick was baptised, the sponsors were Michael C---- (?) and Mary Giblin:

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633965#page/245/mode/1up
(right hand page, 4th entry up from bottom)

Offline Maureen99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 November 23 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Alan and Gaffey --

Thank you so much!  The information you gave me brings me closer to understanding my ancestors' journey.  As always, I now have more work to do, to try and unravel the timeline... but that's the fun part, right?

Again, thank you both so very much for being so generous with your time and expertise.  Much appreciated!