Author Topic: ancestry's chromosome painter - odd results  (Read 232 times)

Offline baytree1970

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ancestry's chromosome painter - odd results
« on: Friday 27 October 23 19:15 BST (UK) »
On Ancestry when i look at the chromosome painter i see different ethnicity to my parents.

For example, Ancestry says the whole of the maternal side of my chromosome 2 is Irish, whilst my mother's chromosome painter show chromosome 2 as welsh, scandinavian, and england/n w europe. No sign of any irish.

It's not that the entire ethnicity estimate is awry like this, but there are a number of such instances.

How can this be explained?

BTW I'm not adopted and as far as I know there is no Irish heritage on my mother's side

Offline Jo6100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ancestry's chromosome painter - odd results
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 October 23 19:52 BST (UK) »
In the FAQ under the chromosome reader it says that if you and a match have the same ethnicity on a chromosome it doesn’t mean your dna is identical and that it is not possible to tell where you share dna with someone. Which I guess means it’s just a fluke if it matches up. I have 24% Irish according to ancestry ( which matches my expectations ), showing on 14 chromosomes. My daughter has 7% Irish from me and does actually share 4 of these locations. However she also has Swedish and danish from my side  but these are on a different chromosome to me. Not sure that helps but it seems it’s normal!