Author Topic: Margaret Whitton or Robertson 1857 to ?  (Read 189 times)

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Whitton or Robertson 1857 to ?
« on: Saturday 28 October 23 09:43 BST (UK) »
This thread links with a previous one of mine entitled "Illegitimate children..."

I am trying to find Margaret Whitton or Robertson, whose birth was registered on 27 October 1857 at Dundee.  Mother was Jean Whitton and there was no father.  She and her mother later were known as "Robertson" and in 1901 they were at 61 Rose Street, Edinburgh.  Jean died in 1904 at the home of her son John Robertson.  Informant was John's wife Betsy.  There is no mention of Margaret.

It is such a common name that I have been unable to find Margaret after 1901.  I have not found her brother John in 1911, but I know that in 1915-16 he was listed on son's naval record at 4 Hopetoun Road, South Queensferry.  He then moved to Somerset about 1917.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Whitton or Robertson 1857 to ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 23 10:27 BST (UK) »
Could this be Margaret in 1921 on SP?

ROBERTSON   MARGARET   1921      53   685/2 13/ 15   ST ANDREW   MIDLOTHIAN

Plenty possible death records in Edinburgh, none with mmn Whitton but that was not always recorded before 1974.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 October 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
If Margaret was b 1857 she would have been 63/4 in 1921

Her brother John is shown as 15 on the 1871 census - also b Dundee. 

In 1851 Jean Whitton b 1826 was a servant to James Clark b 1817 who appears to be a widower with 2 very young children
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 October 23 11:05 BST (UK) »
The ages of this family on censuses vary a lot.  There is one where Jean is shown as 10 years younger than she was i  reality.  Margaret's has been known to be several years out too.

Thanks for the information on Jean in 1851, I will check that.

I assume that, unless Margaret moved to England to be near her brother John (she was not in Somerset in 1921), her death will be recorded in Scotland.  It has long been my intention to go to SP in Edinburgh and trawl through all the Margaret Robertson marriages and deaths from 1904, but Covid got in the way and I have never done it.

Incidentally, in some records, Margaret was known as Maggie.

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 October 23 12:19 BST (UK) »
Inspired by a bit of lateral thinking today, I wonedred if Margaret had died before her mother, between 1901 and 1904.  Sure enough, I found her death on SP on 1st January 1904, at Rose Street, Edinburgh.  Once again, it gave her wrong age, but all the other details are correct.

Informant was her sister in law , Betsy, as with the death of jean later that year.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 October 23 16:03 BST (UK) »
That was good thinking.  So both mother & daughter died in 1904
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)