Author Topic: Origin of the surname Koneth?  (Read 307 times)

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy is packed with surprises and questions!
    • View Profile
Origin of the surname Koneth?
« on: Saturday 28 October 23 12:29 BST (UK) »
My ggrandmother's maiden name was KONETH. Her family is registered since 1640 in Holzenstein near Romanshorn, Thurgau, Switzerland, source "Bevölkerungsverzeichnis Evang. Kirchgemeinde BV Salmsach / Romanshorn, BV1630-1710.
The surname Koneth is very seldom in whole Switzerland. Due to the Swiss surnames registry all descendants with the surname Koneth seem to have their place of citizenship only in Holzenstein.

In the earliest inhabitants registers the Koneth men were having the first names Ulrich, Hans, Peter, Jakob, Philipp and Konrad what are common firstnames in the german speaking countries. So there is no indication to "foreign" first names whereas the surname sounds "foreign".

Nevertheless my guess is that this person/these persons having this surname KONETH were immigrating to Switzerland. This must have happened around end of 1500's beginning 1600's.

My questions are: Does somebody has information about other countries than Switzerland where this surname KONETH, maybe written Coneth or Conet is existing?
Or is there somebody knowing about the origin of this surname?

Acheson, Coffey, Casey, Ahearn, Kennedy, Hughes, Hearn, Gamble, Norwood, Carroll, Gray, Powell, Power, Hennebry, Rainsberry, Lyndop, Lester, Caesar.
Wunderli, Wanner, Frei, Koneth, Mäder, Häuptli, Tobler, Pletscher, Stamm, Schiess, Signer, Meyer, Burkhard, Knupp, Stünzi, Usteri, Zeller, Heusi

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Origin of the surname Koneth?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 23 18:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry I've not heard of that surname before, but looking at this distribution map it is in England with the main body being in Switzerland - I tried to discover whether it was a "location surname, which uses old fashioned speech to describe where a person lived , e.g. valley dweller.  Or whether it is a surname denoting an occupation.

Some people upload their family trees to the below Gedbas website.

https://gedbas.genealogy.net/?lang=en
__

Have you looked on any of these surname distribution Maps: ?

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Surname_Distribution_Maps

I only got two search results when I entered Koneth but got far more results when I left the "h" off the end:

https://gedbas.genealogy.net/?lang=en

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 23 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rena!
The only one on gedbas is Eva Koneth. I will write to this person having his family list with her.
The distribution maps go to Eastern Europe, but not really specific for one spot....
Miracula
Acheson, Coffey, Casey, Ahearn, Kennedy, Hughes, Hearn, Gamble, Norwood, Carroll, Gray, Powell, Power, Hennebry, Rainsberry, Lyndop, Lester, Caesar.
Wunderli, Wanner, Frei, Koneth, Mäder, Häuptli, Tobler, Pletscher, Stamm, Schiess, Signer, Meyer, Burkhard, Knupp, Stünzi, Usteri, Zeller, Heusi

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 23 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I’ve never researched in your part of the world but thinking about your situation, could the following be possible?

Have you ever researched where others who lived in the Holzenstein area c1640s were born?  Do you know of any events during the late 1500s - early 1600s in neighbouring countries that might cause a possible migration (fleeing drought, war, earthquake, famine, etc. - added after my posting: religious reasons)?

Perhaps the Koneths followed others (or were some of the first) to settle in Switzerland in search of better lives?  If others did settle in the area around the same time, it might be possible to find the same surname spelling or a variation in the previously inhabited country/region.

I hope the above makes sense; it’s difficult to put into words.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 23 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Lisa in California

Well the period of 17th century is rather difficult to research. The manuscripts existing give informations about the ruling members of the society or are giving an idea of how society was organized.
Private person's records are mainly the church records. Average people did not leave much written traces in that period.

I am aware that a lot of people were leaving their homes because of wars or belonging to religious minorities. This happened almost continuously through Europe. I am also aware that people were rather mobile nevertheless they made their ways by walking big distances.

I posted my question because it could be somebody having more informations than me!

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Just suggesting...  the 'th ending could be the soft Spanish way of ending the word whereas we might use a 't' or 'd'.  Perhaps Spanish JEWS fleeing persecution.
Possible Celtic / Gaelic and Nordic equivalents from the key base of 'ceann' meaning ' head'.
Derivations are ... Knut, Canute, Kenneth, Kennedy
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ian Nelson and garstonite

I had a guess that the area of todays Hungary could be the origin of the Koneth, but no evidence searching the Hungarian surnames. They have e.g. Bernath with the ending -th, but it is not a common ending in Hungary.
I will message to these people having Koneth on geneanet.

Marlise