Author Topic: A scruffy Higgins photograph  (Read 776 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A scruffy Higgins photograph
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 November 23 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Well said  jmagarac...
I think AI is taking over the photo board and not to its benefit. There are many people who don't realise that the result is achieved by matching similar facial features drawn from the internet, and in effect, are a modern day likeness not to be taken seriously.
I have frequently reminded people who have used my restores to print off, that they should protect the original and make sure that the restored version is labelled as such.  
The majority of photos that are posted here are historical images of peoples' ancestors and any restoration work should bear that in mind and treat them with respect.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A scruffy Higgins photograph
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 November 23 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you waynenort!  :)

Following on from previous comments on this post, I for one would like to know when a 'restore' is AI and not. Maybe it's unrealistic to expect that but worth asking.

Hi Alistair,

The AI, I understand that often causes upsets is one-click portrait restoration. So the user simply uses a piece of software such as the applications found with MyHeritage, Remini and I think Neural filters in Photoshop and won't do any manual restoration. Someone pls correct me on Photoshop if I have it wrong with Neural filters, as I haven't played too much with this filter.

As for landscape restoration, I don't believe there is an AI application that will perform restorations in the same way by replacing existing parts in historic landscape restorations reliably. That is in the same way it's done for portraiture restorations... such as replacing part of an eye, a nose, or a mouth. The landscape AI program would need to house an infinite library of objects.

Good points... very good points. As Carol has appropriately and accurately pointed out, AI is taking over. And yes... it is in high demand. It is being requested of me in my personal restoration work and in my professional, ad agency work. it has yet to replace my 40+ years of proprietary and pc platform Photoshop skillsets... but it is undeniably inevitable. Agree so very much that is is obvious and almost unnatural... particularly in historic photo restorations. They do indeed, have that "taken yesterday" look. I do not like it, but many are demanding it. It is a bit of a "compete" scenario. When I am asked to utilize - or sometimes, I take the liberty (moderately) to use myself... I am always very reluctant to take much credit for it. When folks enthusiastically thank me.. I am generally inclined to say "they are welcome" - but that I cannot take much credit. I will openly share that I ran it through an AI filter. Yes... Remini is one, Vance AI is another. Topaz Photo AI is a great one. Neural Filters in Photoshop isn't competing yet at those levels - but I am sure that it is headed that way. Can't add a whole lot more to what has already been said, other than to reiterate that landscape and background elements (clothing, hands and such) are not yet being handled very well by AI. Particularly in restorations. So obvious when the face (and parts of hair) are super detailed and the rest of the image almost looks so untouched or unnatural. Yes Alister... I think folks should put an acknowledgment or disclaimer when they have used AI... not a bad idea.

I am less than a year from retiring commercially - so I guess I will just let technology run its course. Be interesting to see how it all pans out.