Author Topic: A scruffy Higgins photograph  (Read 778 times)

Offline alistquin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Never say Never!
    • View Profile
Re: A scruffy Higgins photograph
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 October 23 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,
Nice to hear from you and sorry about the AI thing. I didn't know it had crept into this field.
The Higgins family of Athenry are my late wife's mother's family, ergo, my mother-in-law's family.
Why do you ask?
Alistair
Quinlan - Glasgow & Ireland + married Hogbin, Best & King, Australia
Winton - Angus
Joyce - Westport, County Mayo, Ireland
Aitkin/Aitken - Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire, Co. Galway, Australia
Taylor - County Tyrone, Skibereen, Loughrea, Liverpool, Beccles
Higgins, Ryan and Kelly - Athenry
White - Clara, Kings County/County Offally
Law - Ayrshire, Argyllshire
Orr - Ayrshire, County Antrim, Australia
Burnett - Kincardineshire, Angus, Clydebank
Carnegie - Kincardineshire

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 October 23 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Just curiosity really, I think it must be great to have a connection to shops and businesses, especially if they are still in the Family.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jmagarac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alistair, long time no see  :D
I would have done this one but I can't compete with AI nor do I wish too.
Carol

Yes Alister... it is being used extensively. Some of the more unbelievable (I use that term figuratively and "literally") results of facial details recreated (eyes, hair, teeth and such) are not actually "restored" - but rather AI generated/created. I try to only use it lightly (if needed and desired), but it does seem to be a fan favorite. Carol is right... one can not compete with those type of expected results. Sometimes the general cleanup (scratch removal, dust busting and stain removal is not addressed very well (if at all) - but the AI filter has been run and the generation of what appears to be a remarkable recreation of peoples faces is rendered. It isn't fully reliable from an actual standpoint of resemblance to what the person or persons may have actually looked like. Particularly highly detailed facial features derived from very lores, out of focus and faded originals. BUT it amazes folks.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Well said  jmagarac...
I think AI is taking over the photo board and not to its benefit. There are many people who don't realise that the result is achieved by matching similar facial features drawn from the internet, and in effect, are a modern day likeness not to be taken seriously.
I have frequently reminded people who have used my restores to print off, that they should protect the original and make sure that the restored version is labelled as such.   
The majority of photos that are posted here are historical images of peoples' ancestors and any restoration work should bear that in mind and treat them with respect.
Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Got up early this morning here in Melbourne before work and my son was keen to share an old dog some new tricks in Photoshop. He was just finishing work. Just some good old-fashioned levels / curves adjustments with the high pass filter and masking.

...and to put the doorknob back on the door which I thought was originally a blemish lol ;D
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline alistquin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Never say Never!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 November 23 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you waynenort!  :)

Following on from previous comments on this post, I for one would like to know when a 'restore' is AI and not. Maybe it's unrealistic to expect that but worth asking.
Quinlan - Glasgow & Ireland + married Hogbin, Best & King, Australia
Winton - Angus
Joyce - Westport, County Mayo, Ireland
Aitkin/Aitken - Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire, Co. Galway, Australia
Taylor - County Tyrone, Skibereen, Loughrea, Liverpool, Beccles
Higgins, Ryan and Kelly - Athenry
White - Clara, Kings County/County Offally
Law - Ayrshire, Argyllshire
Orr - Ayrshire, County Antrim, Australia
Burnett - Kincardineshire, Angus, Clydebank
Carnegie - Kincardineshire

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 November 23 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, alistquin.
I composed an opinion piece a while ago about a downside of AI tools, but held back from posting it.

Your query now however probably presents me with an appropriate time to put it out there. https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=877762.new#new
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 November 23 11:03 GMT (UK) »
That is an excellent interpretation of what AI does to photos peter, to the unsuspecting poster, it can be thrilling to get a clear photo of their rellie, but the problem is that most of the photos that are posted here, are historic and this needs to be reflected in the restoration process in order for it not to have that "Taken yesterday" look.
AI certainly has it's uses but must be treated with caution.
Carol

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 November 23 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you waynenort!  :)

Following on from previous comments on this post, I for one would like to know when a 'restore' is AI and not. Maybe it's unrealistic to expect that but worth asking.

Hi Alistair,

The AI, I understand that often causes upsets is one-click portrait restoration. So the user simply uses a piece of software such as the applications found with MyHeritage, Remini and I think Neural filters in Photoshop and won't do any manual restoration. Someone pls correct me on Photoshop if I have it wrong with Neural filters, as I haven't played too much with this filter.

AI in portraiture auto-restoration is still in its early stages. It will still take a few years to become the one-stop shop many people who can't perform manual restorations are hoping for.

As for landscape restoration, I don't believe there is an AI application that will perform restorations in the same way by replacing existing parts in historic landscape restorations reliably. That is in the same way it's done for portraiture restorations... such as replacing part of an eye, a nose, or a mouth. The landscape AI program would need to house an infinite library of objects.

But of course it won't stop companies from trying, such as Adobe's attempt with their new beta application called Firefly.  At the moment this to me is like adding photo-realistic clipart together. Which currently doesn't work that well yet

As for the landscape that I've had a go a restoring here - it's just good old-fashioned Photoshop restorating.

Yes, I've used and tested the above apps that applications for portrait restoration. I think they can be great if used sparingly for edge sharping, The sweet spot for me is masking out 95%+ of the AI portrait if needed for sharpening.

I'm all for anyone having a go at restorations no matter what the tools or whether it's automated or not. As they are taking time out of their day simply trying to kindly help others and hopefully not trying to compete.

But more importantly, keep your original unedited digital photos. No amount of restoration can replace them.

For me personally, I prefer the original state, even if they, unfortunately, show the scratches, blemishes, and tears.

Cheers, Wayne
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)