Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 5th November  (Read 1945 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 5th November
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 08:25 GMT (UK) »
My grandchildren would dress up, come here, then my neighbour , who enjoys it,   then on to their other grandmother and that was  all , probably to their friends ,  my grandson was always very frightened of clowns  so my daughter dressed him as a clown at Halloween.
I was mentioning  recently that we don't see "penny for the guy " we were never allowed to do it as children.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Tonight is Hop-Tu-Naa on the Isle of Man.
Better known as Samhain or Halloween.

Manx people will carve moots into lanterns. In Scotland, Ireland and the North of England these are called turnips. In Southern England they are Swedes, and in USA they are Rutabaga.

Whatever you call today, and whatever you carve into lanterns, stay safe, and have fun!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Some idiot continuity announcer today 31st spoke of today being "All Saints Day" !!!!What on earth will she call Nov 1st?
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 18:03 GMT (UK) »
You have the first choice!!!!  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Son brought his two youngsters to visit this week.  I haven't seen them for a while due to their parents successfully getting them into a nursery.

The three year old is very tall and could be mistaken for a five year old.  I obliged her and sang umpteen choruses of "Old Macdonald Had a Farm"    I must have done quite a lot of head actions because my brain felt as though it was swimming after they left/   
I was astonished to hear on the news today that primary school teachers are expected to changed the diapers/nappies of five year old primary school children!     When I had young children I had the advantage of them mixing with children aged a few months to six years old, which meant they learnt from the older children - and included in those lessons was new vocabulary,  how to act and how and when to ask for the potty/chamber pot or the toilet.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 20:16 GMT (UK) »
In my opinion by 5 years and children should be clean and dry unless they have a problem

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 November 23 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Quite agree LM…teachers have enough to deal with without having to provide a basic need that parents should have sorted before they start school!

Going back to Halloween… true to form I got pictures from my daughter of out two grandsons dressed up.. youngest as grim reaper ( costume I made him last year from a black sheet)…and he’s informed her that he’ll wear it next year too! Might need some length adding to it… but like his frugal mind! The eldest was a ghost , old white sheet holes cut out.. glad to see she’s not spending a fortune on silly costumes that will get thrown away!

Well I don’t know what’s happened to the latest storm, but we’ve only had rain in the night with a bit of wind and so far today all seems ok.. if a little grey looking but the sun is trying to break through..

Looking at what others have experienced my heart goes out to everyone and hope that all RC’s and families haven’t been badly hit.

Well off to the hospital today to see a man about my arthritic back… not holding out any hopes, I expect I’ll be told it’s age related! I just keep doing my Pilates and walking … I’m was very surprised to have received an appointment when only being referred in July.

Quick question .. have people turned on their central heating yet?

Have a good day and stay safe

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 November 23 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Here in Devon heavy rain is lashing down and most of the leaves have now blown down from the trees over the past few days.  We made a quick dash down to the supermarket in our nearest town this morning and encountered several partially flooded roads.  We'll wait and see what Storm Ciaran brings as the day wears on. but I think it's supposed to clear up a bit this afternoon.  The nearby sea wall has been strengthened in preparation for the worst, and people are putting up their flood defences.  Mud from tractor wheels and fallen leaves are blocking drains and causing floods in some places.  Not the best weather for bonfires and fireworks. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 November 23 11:06 GMT (UK) »
So what became of the instructions we were given re touching children?
We were not allowed to gently get a child in line ,nor change a child who had an “ accident” ie left it too late to ask for the toilet!!!!
These were four year olds.
It was ridiculous, a soiled child whose parents both worked and had no transport and having to leave their job to get a soiled child home perhaps on a bus!!!!
I can remember having to isolate the Home Corner, and spend my lunchtime scrubbing with disinfectant everything in it, borrowing the Nursery ‘s washing machine for dolls’ clothes and bedding,curtains and anything fabric.
But the poor little mite who had the ‘ accident” we just had to isolate until his Daddy came .
How humiliating when a simple clean up of him in the Nursery utility room, in private would have been so much kinder and hygienic too!
There are some daft people in high places !- But when you think of their salaries!!!!Daylight Robbery .
We know there are people who molest children and often in plain sight, and didn’t  they get away with it,two recent T,V programmes show very well the enormity of the problem.
But in Nurseries,you can’t leave a young baby (and oh his young they are taken in nowadays -) all day without a nappy change and a bottom washing ready for a clean nappy !!!!

The world has gone mad, on one hand children acting,dressing and thinking they have adult rights ,but when they get in a bus and ask f or “ A child’s day return”—— with skirts up to their b—s ,false eyelashes etcetcetc.
All the old people raise eyebrows and shake heads ,we don’t understand the disparity.
Oh dear was it ever thus,I don’t remember it .

A can’t make its mind up day today,  washing in due to bright sunshine earlier, but raining again now!

Hope all are O.K. I know many have ongoing problems which affect your daily lives but you are a stoical lot and seem to get on with things never the less.
It is the only way really isn’t it .

I  need to shop today.

I hope this gets through,none of my posts seem to arrive lately, I have sent replies to posts but where they are heaven only knows .

Cheerio,Viktoria.