Author Topic: Jane Paice born c1824 - daughter of William and Anne Paice - Minley Farm, Hants  (Read 299 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Paice born c1824 - daughter of William and Anne Paice - Minley Farm, Hants
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 October 23 17:09 GMT (UK) »
That is good.  Your first suspicions about her marriage were right  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellenmaggie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Paice born c1824 - daughter of William and Anne Paice - Minley Farm, Hants
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 October 23 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I think it helped just to write it down and it certainly helped seeing your replies and gave me the incentive to keep looking - so thank you!  Mystery solved....and it leads to a murder in the family.   Jane's father in law Henry was found floating in the Basingstoke Canal in 1866 - suspected murder...that is another story to chase down!   

Offline ellenmaggie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 October 23 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I think it helped just to write it down and it certainly helped seeing your replies and gave me the incentive to keep looking - so thank you!  Mystery solved....and it leads to a murder in the family.   Jane's father in law Henry was found floating in the Basingstoke Canal in 1866 - suspected murder...that is another story to chase down!   

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 October 23 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Suspected murder, that sounds good for a bit of family interest.  I hope you have some idea where on the Basingstoke canal  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 October 23 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Yateley is one of those really awkward places - move just a few yards down the road and you could still be in Hampshire - or Surrey or Berkshire!

Transcriptions (and OCR) can also cause headaches.  Reading Mercury prints William and Jane's name as Paice.  FamilySearch has the marriage transcription - and transcribe Jane's surname as Price.  They married in Old Windsor.

Have you thought that Jane might have been the third surviving daughter?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk