Author Topic: Looking for death record of James Pettigrew occupation miner possibly died 1853  (Read 536 times)

Offline berleyclay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Pettigrew miner married Margaret Smith in Old Monkland Dec 1852, they had a daughter born 1853 but no birth record that I can find, and James possibly died in a mining accident in June 1853 but I can’t find a death record. His wife Margaret remarried in 1857 to Hugh Keating so he presumably died between 1853 and 1857.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death record of James Pettigrew occupation miner possibly died 1853
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 23 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I note the information you posted; I think it may be difficult to fill in the gaps given the circumstances below.

SMITH   MARGARET   JAMES PETTICREW   12/12/1852   OLD MONKLAND OR COATBRIDGE

No birth/baptism for a child in Lanarkshire.

1853 Accidents
June   25   Rosebank   Rutherglen   Colin Dunlop & Co   James Pettigrew & Patrick McChane   Choke damp in sinking pit

Sadly no death records on SP pre 1855 registration in Rutherglen of Old Monkland.

KEATING   HUGH   SMITH   MARGARET   1857   BRIDGETON

KEATING   MARGARET ANN   MMN = SMITH   F   1858   OLD MONKLAND (WESTERN DISTRICT)

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline berleyclay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death record of James Pettigrew occupation miner possibly died 1853
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 23 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Colin, yes I think to go backwards on James’ family is going to be impossible but worth a try. Many thanks for your reply much appreciated
 Regards Kim

Online eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 23 17:15 GMT (UK) »
James Pettigrew miner married Margaret Smith in Old Monkland Dec 1852, they had a daughter born 1853 but no birth record that I can find, and James possibly died in a mining accident in June 1853 but I can’t find a death record. His wife Margaret remarried in 1857 to Hugh Keating so he presumably died between 1853 and 1857.

Go to the Scottish Mining website and you can find mining deaths by year (http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/5.html). Click on 1853 there and the page that comes up shows the death of a James Pettigrew and Patrick McChane [sic]* at Rosebank Colliery in Rutherglen on 25 June 1853. Cause of death was given as "choke damp in sinking pit". It looks as if they suffocated. A horrible way to go. They would have known what was happening to them - they could not breath and would not have been able to do anything as they lost strength and fell unconscious.

A Google search on chokedamp (both spellings, as one word and as two) brings up many results, one of them being this Wikipedia article:

"Choke damp" = blackdamp = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackdamp = "Blackdamp (also known as stythe or choke damp) is an asphyxiant, reducing the available oxygen content of air to a level incapable of sustaining human or animal life. It is not a single gas but a mixture of unbreathable gases left after oxygen is removed from the air and typically consists of nitrogen, carbon dioxide and water vapour. The term is etymologically and practically related to terms for other underground mine gases such as fire damp, white damp, stink damp, and afterdamp."

Is the Pat McShan (as recorded), 30, engine keeper, b. Ireland, with wife Helen, 28, b. Ireland and son James, aged 1, born Old Monkland, and Patrick's sister Sally, 19, b. Ireland, at 160 North Square, Old Monkland, in the 1851 Census returns, the Patrick McChane listed as one of the victims?

*A phonetic search on the name on ScotlandsPeople using 1855-1870 just as a random set of years shows spellings McChain, McChaine, McChane, McCheyne (which is the spelling I was familiar with).

Offline berleyclay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 09:08 GMT (UK) »

Go to the Scottish Mining website and you can find mining deaths by year (http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/5.html). Click on 1853 there and the page that comes up shows the death of a James Pettigrew and Patrick McChane [sic]* at Rosebank Colliery in Rutherglen on 25 June 1853. Cause of death was given as "choke damp in sinking pit". It looks as if they suffocated. A horrible way to go. They would have known what was happening to them - they could not breath and would not have been able to do anything as they lost strength and fell unconscious.

A Google search on chokedamp (both spellings, as one word and as two) brings up many results, one of them being this Wikipedia article:

"Choke damp" = blackdamp = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackdamp = "Blackdamp (also known as stythe or choke damp) is an asphyxiant, reducing the available oxygen content of air to a level incapable of sustaining human or animal life. It is not a single gas but a mixture of unbreathable gases left after oxygen is removed from the air and typically consists of nitrogen, carbon dioxide and water vapour. The term is etymologically and practically related to terms for other underground mine gases such as fire damp, white damp, stink damp, and afterdamp."

Is the Pat McShan (as recorded), 30, engine keeper, b. Ireland, with wife Helen, 28, b. Ireland and son James, aged 1, born Old Monkland, and Patrick's sister Sally, 19, b. Ireland, at 160 North Square, Old Monkland, in the 1851 Census returns, the Patrick McChane listed as one of the victims?

*A phonetic search on the name on ScotlandsPeople using 1855-1870 just as a random set of years shows spellings McChain, McChaine, McChane, McCheyne (which is the spelling I was familiar with).

Any ideas on the address of Rosebank Colliery as there is no actual death record to give more clues, i was hoping to find James Pettigrew on the 1851 census and assumed he would have lived within walking distance of Rosebank
It’s a long shot 😕

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 10:28 GMT (UK) »

These are the only 2 coal miners I can find on the 1851 census of about the right age, there may be more younger or older of course. Both on freecen.

1851 Carfin Mcandrew's House, Holytown, Bothwell, visiting Alex Brown & family.
PETTIGREW   James   Visitr   U   M   21   Coal Miner   Lanarkshire   Glasgow

1851 Colston Row, Maryhill, Barony, Glasgow, parents Thomas & Violet & 8 siblings.
PETTIGREW   James   Son   U   M   19   Coal Miner   Lanarkshire   Tollcross

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline berleyclay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 11:22 GMT (UK) »

These are the only 2 coal miners I can find on the 1851 census of about the right age, there may be more younger or older of course. Both on freecen.

1851 Carfin Mcandrew's House, Holytown, Bothwell, visiting Alex Brown & family.
PETTIGREW   James   Visitr   U   M   21   Coal Miner   Lanarkshire   Glasgow

1851 Colston Row, Maryhill, Barony, Glasgow, parents Thomas & Violet & 8 siblings.
PETTIGREW   James   Son   U   M   19   Coal Miner   Lanarkshire   Tollcross

Colin

🤔 thanks Colin I’m looking at freecen now these seem to be quite a distance to where Rosebank would be, given the address as Rutherglen on the mining site however their is a 15 year old coal miner in Cambuslang who in 1852 would have been 16 when he married 🤔 a little young though even for those days. 🤔🤔 A death notice/record maybe key 😖

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 11:50 GMT (UK) »
On google I have found references to the mining company but not to the colliery, however there is and area of Rutherglen with a company called Rosebank, it is about 2 miles from Rutherglen and less from Cambuslang.

Colin

Offline berleyclay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 12:19 GMT (UK) »
On google I have found references to the mining company but not to the colliery, however there is and area of Rutherglen with a company called Rosebank, it is about 2 miles from Rutherglen and less from Cambuslang.

Colin

This sounds good and Cambuslang has a coal mining history just need to tie in my James Pettigrew to this it’s quite a mystery.

Thank you Colin your continued help is much appreciated!