Author Topic: Looking for death record of James Pettigrew occupation miner possibly died 1853  (Read 535 times)

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death record of James Pettigrew occupation miner possibly died 1853
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 12:58 GMT (UK) »
The Scottish Mining site gives a list of colliery's for 1854...no address but location Rutherglen. Sorry this seems to have been mentioned previous posts.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death record of James Pettigrew occupation miner possibly died 1853
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Other Church Registrers give this one but there is a few others with no first names for period.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Any ideas on the address of Rosebank Colliery as there is no actual death record to give more clues, i was hoping to find James Pettigrew on the 1851 census and assumed he would have lived within walking distance of Rosebank It’s a long shot 😕
Rosebank House, Rutherglen https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.7&lat=55.82230&lon=-4.17812&layers=257&b=1 - it's right on the boundary with Cambuslang. However this map was surveyed in 1859 and doesn't show a colliery there.

Same area as surveyed in 1896 https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.7&lat=55.82177&lon=-4.17358&layers=6&b=1 shows that the dyeworks was extended but no colliery close by.

But if Rosebank Colliery was near Rosebank House/Rosebank Bridge, he could easily have lived in Rutherglen or Cambuslang, or even north of the River Clyde.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline berleyclay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Any ideas on the address of Rosebank Colliery as there is no actual death record to give more clues, i was hoping to find James Pettigrew on the 1851 census and assumed he would have lived within walking distance of Rosebank It’s a long shot 😕
Rosebank House, Rutherglen https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.7&lat=55.82230&lon=-4.17812&layers=257&b=1 - it's right on the boundary with Cambuslang. However this map was surveyed in 1859 and doesn't show a colliery there.

Same area as surveyed in 1896 https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.7&lat=55.82177&lon=-4.17358&layers=6&b=1 shows that the dyeworks was extended but no colliery close by.

But if Rosebank Colliery was near Rosebank House/Rosebank Bridge, he could easily have lived in Rutherglen or Cambuslang, or even north of the River Clyde.

This looks right for the Rosebank address the first map shows just over the bridge a coal pit, and the later map shows Cambuslang Dye Works where Rosebank was I think this adds up to what I have read about the Dunlop family who owned/lived at Rosebank house.

Many thanks Forfarian  much appreciated! ! as to where James lived is guess work at the moment I need a James Pettigrew coal miner in 1851 census who doesn’t appear in 1861! There are several Pettigrew burials in Cambuslang Cemetry which I am looking into but what happened to James after his death ???
Regards Kim

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 16:19 GMT (UK) »

🤔 looking at freecen now these seem to be quite a distance to where Rosebank would be, given the address as Rutherglen on the mining site however their is a 15 year old coal miner in Cambuslang who in 1852 would have been 16 when he married 🤔 a little young though even for those days. 🤔🤔 A death notice/record maybe key 😖
It might be worth a look at the original 1851 census on SP.

1851 Brownhill, Cambuslang
PETTIGREW   John   Head   M   39   Stone Quarrier   Lanarkshire   Blantyre      
PETTIGREW   Margaret   Wife   41   -   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
PETTIGREW   James   Son   U   15   Coal Miner   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
PETTIGREW   John   Son   -           11   Scholar   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
PETTIGREW   Janet   Dau   -   9   Scholar   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
PETTIGREW   Archibald   Son   -   7   Scholar   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
PETTIGREW   Alexander   Son   -   5   -   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
PETTIGREW   Robert   Son   -   2   -   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
AITKENHEAD   Margaret   Stpson   M   21   -   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
CUMMING           Jane   Stpson              M   17   -   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      

1841 Lightburn, Cambuslang, all born Lanarks

John PETTIGREW 25 Male Servant, PETTIGREW Margaret 30, PETTIGREW John 1
AITKENHEAD Margaret 11, CUMING Jane 7, FORREST James 5

AITKENHEAD   MARGARET   JOHN AITKENHEAD/MARGARET COUPER    16/07/1830   CAMBUSLANG

CUMMING   JANE   JAMES CUMMING/MARGARET COUPER 30/03/1834   CAMBUSLANG

No James Forrest or Pettigrew around 1836?

PETTIGREW   JOHN   JOHN PETTIGREW/MARGARET COUPER       08/12/1839   CAMBUSLANG
PETTIGREW   JANET BENNET   JOHN PETTIGREW/MARGARET COWPER 13/03/1842   CAMBUSLANG
PETTIGREW   ARCHIBALD   JOHN PETTIGREW/MARGARET COUPER    04/02/1844   CAMBUSLANG
PETTIGREW   ALEXANDER   JOHN PETTIGREW/MARGARET COUPER       14/12/1845   CAMBUSLANG

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 16:44 GMT (UK) »
There are at least five unmarried miners named James Pettigrew in the 1851 census - see attached extract from FreeCEN. The 29-year-old looks much more likely. (I wouldn't rule him out just because he's an ironstone miner - I have found quite a few miners who were coal miners in one census and ironstone miners in another.)

The second screenshot is the household, in which James P is shown as the brother of William P, both born in Dalserf. If so they are probably the sons of Robert P and Mary Brown. See third screenshot.

There is a death of a William P, aged 71, mother's maiden name Brown, in Holytown in 1897, but there is no corresponding death of a James P. This means that he could be yours, or he could have left Scotland, or his mother's maiden surname could be missing from the deaths index.

I can't find him in the 1861 census transcription. So he ticks your boxes. I can find William in every following census.

If I were you I'd check the death of that William P, and if he is the son of Robert P and Agnes Brown, I think that could be one more brick off your wall.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Of the other four miners in 1851, I think you can eliminate the 16-year-old in New Monkland,  because he is a son of Thomas P and Katherine Newland(s), and James P, mother's maiden surname Newlands, died in Airdrie in 1879 aged 41.

Another one to look into is James Forrest, mother's maiden surname Couper, who died in Larkhall in 1893 aged 58. If his death certificate says that his mother was married to John P, you can eliminate him.

The 19-year-old in Maryhill is the son of Thomas P and Violet Archibald. The baptisms of Isabella in Bothwell in 1837, and of Elizabeth, Marion, Thomas and David in Tollcross Relief Church, match that family. James P, mother Archibald, is not in the deaths index so cannot at this stage be eliminated.

Nor can the 21-year-old born in Glasgow as he is only a visitor in the 1851 census.

Offline berleyclay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 11:55 GMT (UK) »

🤔 looking at freecen now these seem to be quite a distance to where Rosebank would be, given the address as Rutherglen on the mining site however their is a 15 year old coal miner in Cambuslang who in 1852 would have been 16 when he married 🤔 a little young though even for those days. 🤔🤔 A death notice/record maybe key 😖
It might be worth a look at the original 1851 census on SP.

1851 Brownhill, Cambuslang
PETTIGREW   John   Head   M   39   Stone Quarrier   Lanarkshire   Blantyre      
PETTIGREW   Margaret   Wife   41   -   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
PETTIGREW   James   Son   U   15   Coal Miner   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
PETTIGREW   John   Son   -           11   Scholar   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
PETTIGREW   Janet   Dau   -   9   Scholar   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
PETTIGREW   Archibald   Son   -   7   Scholar   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
PETTIGREW   Alexander   Son   -   5   -   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
PETTIGREW   Robert   Son   -   2   -   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
AITKENHEAD   Margaret   Stpson   M   21   -   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      
CUMMING           Jane   Stpson              M   17   -   Lanarkshire   Cambuslang      

1841 Lightburn, Cambuslang, all born Lanarks

John PETTIGREW 25 Male Servant, PETTIGREW Margaret 30, PETTIGREW John 1
AITKENHEAD Margaret 11, CUMING Jane 7, FORREST James 5

AITKENHEAD   MARGARET   JOHN AITKENHEAD/MARGARET COUPER    16/07/1830   CAMBUSLANG

CUMMING   JANE   JAMES CUMMING/MARGARET COUPER 30/03/1834   CAMBUSLANG

No James Forrest or Pettigrew around 1836?

PETTIGREW   JOHN   JOHN PETTIGREW/MARGARET COUPER       08/12/1839   CAMBUSLANG
PETTIGREW   JANET BENNET   JOHN PETTIGREW/MARGARET COWPER 13/03/1842   CAMBUSLANG
PETTIGREW   ARCHIBALD   JOHN PETTIGREW/MARGARET COUPER    04/02/1844   CAMBUSLANG
PETTIGREW   ALEXANDER   JOHN PETTIGREW/MARGARET COUPER       14/12/1845   CAMBUSLANG

Colin

So grateful Colin for this information I will look into this

Offline berleyclay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Of the other four miners in 1851, I think you can eliminate the 16-year-old in New Monkland,  because he is a son of Thomas P and Katherine Newland(s), and James P, mother's maiden surname Newlands, died in Airdrie in 1879 aged 41.

Another one to look into is James Forrest, mother's maiden surname Couper, who died in Larkhall in 1893 aged 58. If his death certificate says that his mother was married to John P, you can eliminate him.

The 19-year-old in Maryhill is the son of Thomas P and Violet Archibald. The baptisms of Isabella in Bothwell in 1837, and of Elizabeth, Marion, Thomas and David in Tollcross Relief Church, match that family. James P, mother Archibald, is not in the deaths index so cannot at this stage be eliminated.

Nor can the 21-year-old born in Glasgow as he is only a visitor in the 1851 census.

So much information Forfarian thank you so much I will look into these further and hopefully get to the bottom of this mystery
Regards Kim