Author Topic: Photo editing question  (Read 581 times)

Online waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
Re: Photo editing question
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 02:35 GMT (UK) »
If you prefer a quick photo editor that does things such as red-eye removal, here's one that can be used online.

https://ipiccy.com/

It's free to use and no software needed to download.

NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Microsoft originally included a simple Paint program with Windows.   Some volunteers enhanced it and provided it Free.  It is now quite advanced but still simple to use and is great for Editing Photos.
getpaint and paintdot.net will get you to their website.  Never download it from a third party and avoid bundled extras.  It's available from the app store, but don't know if it's free.
cheers, Ian

Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Online waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Microsoft originally included a simple Paint program with Windows.   Some volunteers enhanced it and provided it Free.  It is now quite advanced but still simple to use and is great for Editing Photos.
getpaint and paintdot.net will get you to their website.  Never download it from a third party and avoid bundled extras.  It's available from the app store, but don't know if it's free.
cheers, Ian
I had never tried Paint until now ;D. The latest 2023 version surprisingly has a lot of features.
Agree you need to be careful when looking for a legitimate download for Paint when googling it.

Here's the Microsoft app link that works with Android - Mobile phones and Tablets
https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9NBHCS1LX4R0?cid=pdn_forum_5_0_11&hl=en-us&gl=US

I don't believe the Microsoft website offers a Windows version of Paint anymore.  I could only find an older 2020 Free MS version of Paint on the CNET website.  It had no extra bundled software.

And the 2023 Windows Paint upgrade (works if you already have Paint installed) on the developer's independent github webpage. This also had no additional unwanted software bundles.

NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 14:21 GMT (UK) »
I've tried GIMP a few times but don't find it very user-friendly. It's very powerful, but with a steep learning curve.

I've never tried GIMP, mainly because I've read quite a few comments such as this - and the screenshots I came across did look a bit intimidating.

Affinity Photo is like an imitation of Photoshop, but not as many features
Photo restoration tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwRVtGedxyg
It has a one-off cost of around $100.

I got Affinity v.1 on a special offer, attracted also by it being a one-off purchase rather than a subscription, and it's the program I use if FastStone doesn't quite cut it. Affinity v.2 is now out, but for me I'm not convinced it's worth the extra outlay at present.

I've tried Paint Dot Net (the volunteer successor to MS Paint) from time to time, but never quite got to grips with it, though it does have a lot of optional add-ons and I suspect it can do quite a lot if pushed. If I ever find I can't use Affinity v.1 for any reason, I'd certainly reconsider it.

Back to FastStone - yes, it does do red-eye removal and a lot of other kinds of edit. Full details are at

https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

If you follow the Download link you'll see that there's a portable version available. You can run this from a USB stick without installing anything, so it won't affect any of your Windows settings - it might be a good way to try it out. No registration is needed, even for the installed version, though donations are accepted.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 November 23 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your helpful replies.  It's going to take a lot of experimentation on my part to learn how to use some of these.  Waynenort, I tried the redeye correction on the site you mentioned.  Without your clear photos and direction, I never would have found where the redeye bit was. Thanks!  i'm so grateful to all of you for sharing your expertise.