Author Topic: Death Notice in Bradford Newspaper  (Read 181 times)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Notice in Bradford Newspaper
« on: Monday 30 October 23 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My ancestor Hannah Bateman (nee Nowlan) died aged 28 in December quarter of 1854, in Bradford, Yorkshire. At the time of her death she was residing with husband William in Pit Lane. Having visited Bradford Local Studies Library in years past, I had seen from their indexing system that there was a death notice for her in one of the Bradford papers - which I neglected to get a copy of! 

I wondered if anyone was in the habit of visiting Bradford Local Studies, and could get a copy of this for me, as I am unable to go myself.  I have tried searching British Newspaper Archive for this, but have had no luck.  The Bradford papers on BNA are - Bradford Daily Telegraph, Bradford Observer, Bradford Weekly Telegraph and Bradford Review.  I am unsure as to exactly which newspaper the death notice was in (obviously none of the above). I realise that this could be rather tedious, and would not blame anyone for not wanting to look, but thought I would try on the off-chance.  Thank you for reading,

Christine

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death Notice in Bradford Newspaper
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Bradford Observer
21 December 1854, page 5, col 6

Deaths
[..]
On Thursday last, aged 28, Hannah, wife of Mr Wm. Bateman, Pit Lane.

NB 'Thursday last'  was 14th December, so providing the newspaper got it right that would be her date of death.

If you want a copy, then its on BNA or you could try mailing the Bradford Local Studies who may be able to provide one

Boo