Author Topic: Woolwich Arsenal WW1  (Read 3363 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woolwich Arsenal WW1
« on: Tuesday 31 October 23 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for two women who served in the Woolwich Arsenal in WW1. Names: Mabel Edith Fluke (nee Francis) and Elizabeth Britchford.  Is there any lists of people working with munitions? 
Where could I obtain this information.
Mabel EdithFrancis  I believe was also in the armed forces so I am searching for her history.
Any help would be. greatly appreciated.  Elizabeth lost of boyfriend in WW1 and never married and I am finding it very difficult to trace her family tree.  Thank you

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Woolwich Arsenal WW1
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Over 60% of WW1 records were burnt during the WW2 blitz

Mabel was b 1893 & married 1918 - the marriage cert shows her as a dressmaker but the war was over by the time she married

When did Elizabeth die?  Where did you get her details from & the fact she never married?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth is possibly 'Lizzie' in 1921.  :-\

ADDED
There is a Miss Lizzie Britchford mentioned in the Norwood News 8th August 1919 as giving flowers at a funeral of Mrs G A M L Gardiner
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Mabel Fluke's RAF record is available free of charge from TNA: 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7503335
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 23:02 GMT (UK) »
CaroleW. Thank you for your reply.  This lady was very kind to me when I was a little girl.  I knew her as Aunty Lizzie Britchford.  All I know about her is that she and my grandmother (Mabel Edith Francis/Fluke) met one day by chance wearing their Woolwich Arsenal Badges. They then became firm friends (both from England).  I only know that Aunty Lizzie was in the Salvation Army and left me her Timbrell when she died.  No one left to ask the date but I assume it was when I was between7 and 11 years of age but cannot be sure. She was born in England and must have lived around Woolwich when she did war service. Died in Australia (Sydney somewhere.  I want to hand the timbrell on to the Salvation Army Museum and would like to add some details of the original owner.  Thanks again

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ShaunJ I will look this up. Mabel Edith was my grandmother. Much appreciated.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rosie99,  Thank you so much for your reply.  I knew this lady as Aunty Lizzie so this may be her.  Is Norwood near Woolwich (where she worked in the Arsenal in the War)?  I am afraid I don't know the towns in England.  Because she never married and had no children - and also my relatives that knew her have died - it is very hard to find out about this lady.  I appreciate your help.The search continues......

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Elizabeth BRITCHFORD arrived in Australia in 1926. She was 32 and came on Beltana departing 25th March.  She states occ. as a warehouse worker and indicates she intends to stay in Australia.

She appears on the NSW Electoral Rolls from 1931, at first in Darling Street Balmain, and after that at Merton Street Rozelle to 1963.  Her occupation is home duties, so one wonders at her means of support.

After that I do not see her on records.

However there is a burial in USA for a woman of the name in 1967 of unknown birthdate.
Gate of Heaven Cemetery and Mausoleum, East Hanover, Morris County, New Jersey USA
Mem ID 92543352

It may be worth asking on the USA board if more can be found on this person.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Using her age when she travelled gives a birthyear of around 1893/4 - this is the only possibility

Elizabeth Jane Britchford.  Dec qtr 1893. Ampthill 3b 370 her mothers maiden name was Dunber
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)