Author Topic: Woolwich Arsenal WW1  (Read 3362 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Woolwich Arsenal WW1
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 November 23 07:53 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned previously, during the time she is on the electoral roll in Australia, she has no occupation other that Home Duties.

Now, this may mean as in a wifely manner whilst her supporting partner earns an income.
Or, it may be as in a live-in position in a household where she has board and keep and a small wage in exchange for domestic assistance  .

Have you followed up n the USA burial?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 November 23 15:06 GMT (UK) »
The English 1921 census is only available via subscription on FindMyPast & details that are only available via subscription are not allowed to be given. 

Rosie has provided her location in 1921 but you need to look at the full entry to establish where she was born now the other Elizabeth Britchford has been ruled out
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 November 23 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie99,  Did the article give any clue as to what type of church work - was it with the Salvation Army - that would fit with what I know of Lizzie.

The article is here and available to view with a free trial, it is lengthy so will leave it to you to read

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01srh/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 November 23 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sparrett, I have just found out that when she was in Australia she worked at the Salvation Army Peoples Palace as a cleaner.  I will need to find out where this building is or was - perhaps it is at the address shown for her on the census.
 Also apparently she looked after the Bonnell children for their father so again she may have been listed as 'home duties'.  She never married as she lost her boyfriend in WW1.
Thank you for your ongoing help with this research.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 November 23 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Just had a thought.  In reply 4 you say she left you her Timbrell.  That indicates there must have been a will.  I've looked on the English probate website but nothing there so have you checked for a will?

Also - have you looked at the English 1921 census entry yet to determine where she was born?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 November 23 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks CaaroleW - The oral history is that I was left the timbrell in her will but I have no proof of that - maybe she just told someone I was to have it.  What site can I look up wills?  I assume she died in Australia - again no proof as yet.  Also I am not sure how to get into the English 1921 census.  Can you advise me please?   Thanks again for your help.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 November 23 23:04 GMT (UK) »
From reply 4 above

The English 1921 census is only available via subscription on FindMyPast & details that are only available via subscription are not allowed to be given.

Rosie has provided her location in 1921 but you need to look at the full entry to establish where she was born now the other Elizabeth Britchford has been ruled out

Re will - You would have to establish when she died & in view of the earlier reply - whether it was in Australia or the USA

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 06 November 23 03:44 GMT (UK) »
When Elizabeth BRITCHFORD travelled per Beltana to Sydney, she was not alone.

She came with a woman and the woman's children and she had shared the previous home address  with them -13 Hoyle Rd Tooting, Surrey.

Ticket No. 1971
Mrs Janet Orr JACKSON, previous address 13 Hoyle Rd Tooting, Surrey. Housewife. Aged 35. Intending permanent Australia
Her children.
Daisy Lily aged 8
Elsie Alice aged 6

Ticket no. 1972
William A. N.aged 10

Although they have come from the same address, Elizabeth's ticket no. is not consecutive with theirs.
Suggests a seperate booking.  All 3rd class.

From 1931 to 1935,  the JACKSON group and Elizabeth share same addresses in Sydney.

Janet Orr JACKSON may have been a widow or divorced because in 1939 , she married.

21169/1939
CHURCHLAND Vincent James
JACKSON Janet Orr
at ROZELLE

I see this couple on electoral rolls round Sydney where he was a docker up to 1963.
After that, I cannot immediately locate them.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 06 November 23 13:53 GMT (UK) »
William Albert Nello Jackson b 1915 mmn Calder

Daisy Lily Jackson b 1917 mmn Calder

Elsie Alice Jackson b 1919 mmn Calder

Janet O Calder married William J Jackson 1915 Wandsworth