Author Topic: East Stonehouse Parish Church - St George's or St Paul's  (Read 277 times)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
East Stonehouse Parish Church - St George's or St Paul's
« on: Tuesday 31 October 23 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I might be missing something obvious but I am unsure of the name of the parish church in East Stonehouse. My ggrandfather was a Royal Marine Light Infantryman based in Stonehouse and his marriage certificate in 1881 states the marriage took place at the parish church. The question is which one?!

It looks like there was a St George's that was destroyed by German bombing in 1940. Today I can see there is a St Paul's church not far from the barracks.

I'm going to visit Plymouth this week and fancied trying to find the church if it's still there.

If anyone has any knowledge of the church that would be a great help.

Thanks!

Matt

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: East Stonehouse Parish Church - St George's or St Paul's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 18:12 GMT (UK) »
From GenUKI:
East Stonehouse was formerly a chapelry, in the parish of St. Andrew's, Plymouth, but was constituted a separate parish by act of Parliament. ST. GEORGE'S, the parish church, was built by subscription in 1789, on the site of the ancient chapel.

Today, the church is known as St George/St Lawrence, East Stonehouse
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 07:35 GMT (UK) »
There is fairly comprehensive information about East Stonehouse to be found on GenUKI - see https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/EastStonehouse
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this information. I will investigate. I've not really looked at GenUKI previously.

Unfortunately I think my great grandfather was married at the one that was bombed and then taken down.