Author Topic: Family member possible Jewish heratige  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Family member possible Jewish heratige
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 23:08 GMT (UK) »
The Pontypridd Observer has a marriage notice in its Sat., Oct. 1, 1898 issue for Charles Gaze and Johanna Jenkins (daughter of Thomas Jenkins).

It doesn't give the marriage date but says it took place at the English Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in Bridgend.

Was Charles the son of Thomas and Ellen Gaze?
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline swillliams

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes he was the son of them, thats what I thought was strange, that he was married in a church

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 23:21 GMT (UK) »
If I've got the right family for Charles in the 1871 census, this might be his father's obit:

Pontypridd Observer
Sat., Sept. 21, 1907

“We regret to record the death of Mr. Thomas Gaze, chainworker, Pontypridd, which took place at his residence in The Avenue on Tuesday last. Deceased was 67 years of age and much respected. The funeral takes place to-day.”

Pontypridd Observer
Sat., Sept. 21, 1907

“OBITUARY.
“Thomas Gaze, Chainmaker. – Funeral Cortege will leave No. 25, The Avenue, at 3 p.m., Saturday, for Glyntaff Cemetery.”

That doesn't seem to be a Jewish cemetery, either.

If he's the right guy in 1871, he was born circa 1839 in Cradley, Staffordshire [edit: it's in Worcestershire, according to the 1841 & 1851 censuses, but the 1871 says Staffordshire].
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline swillliams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is the correct family, I have grave plots for some of the family including Thomas

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Was Thomas the son of James Gaze and Mary Shuker?

James and Mary were married 25 Aug. 1818 in an Anglican church in Dudley, Worcestershire.

Offline swillliams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Yeah he was, this is looking like there was not any Jewish, I think my grandfather may have been telling me non truths

Offline jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Isn't the name Shuker connected with Jewish Emmigrants from Lithuania ? So there may still be a link to a Jewish ancestor. You probably haven't gone far enough back. Jewish people recorded from 1066 to 1290 when they were expelled by Edward 1. Let back in by Cromwell, 1656, I think.
I'm having the same problem. Stevens and Kaizer.

Offline swillliams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes my grandfather mentioned they changed their name from shuker to gaze when they moved to wales so that could be the connection

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 November 23 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Some family stories turn out to be correct and others turn out to be incorrect. You never know until you investigate. Maybe it was the Shuker surname that sounded Jewish to someone but the story got mixed up.

Do you have documentation showing where James Gaze was born and who his parents were?

You could write an email to the relevant local library, give them the information you have on the earliest proven ancestor of Charles Gaze, and ask if they have any information that might shed light on whether or not the Gaze [edit: and/or Shuker] families were Jewish.

So, for example, you know James Gaze and Mary Shuker were married in Dudley, Worcestershire on 25 Aug. 1818. You might start by contacting the library in Dudley.

Some librarians will do a 15-minute look-up for free and then they'll charge a small fee, so make it clear you'd be willing to pay for a look-up. If they don't have the resources there, they should be able to tell you who else you might be able to contact. For example, there might be a local history society that could help.

My suggestion would be to provide as much specific information as you have so the librarian won't waste his/her time looking for something you already have.