Author Topic: McFie/ Evans Rothesay  (Read 512 times)

Offline Peety

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McFie/ Evans Rothesay
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 February 24 16:19 GMT (UK) »
As a follow on to my original question, I have now found this registration of death for 1784 in Kingarth, Bute. I transcribed it as follows:
Dec 16th Janet MacConachy spouse to James Macfee in Buttcurry died of the Histericks (?) upon the sixteenth and was buried upon the seventeenth instant aged about 40 years and paid the Kings dues.
 I am confident the registration  relates to the headstone because the names, dates and quite specific area, Buttcurry, are the same apart from the spouse’s surname. I think MacConachy means “ son of Duncan “ , but as anyone come across this before?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: McFie/ Evans Rothesay
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 February 24 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I think MacConachy means “ son of Duncan “ , but as anyone come across this before?
Yes, according to G F Black's The Surnames of Scotland that is the origin of MacConnachy and its numerous variant spellings.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.