Author Topic: Search census by address New York 1925+  (Read 484 times)

Offline shelleyf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Search census by address New York 1925+
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 November 23 06:11 GMT (UK) »
amondg, the passenger record I have has her arriving 27 April, 1925. You must have found another one. 

The death for that Katherine Nicklen nee Hanlon gives a date of birth as 18 March 1905

-----------------------
The Catherine O'Hanlon was baptised St Alphonsus Liverpool on 24 February 1905
Father Michael O'Hanlon
mother Marie O'Hanlon nee Traynor
God parents Thomas Traynor and Catherine Breen.

--------------------------------
The passenger list has stamped by her name "in hospital"   her arrival date 23 March 1925

So are you sure she was allowed to immigrate for example if she had TB should would not have allowed to stay.

Offline shelleyf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 November 23 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lisa. Yes, I have her on the Carmania. Did you find that form on Ancestry?

If she sailed on the Carmania (arrived Apr 28, 1925) she was included on a “Record of Detained Aliens” form.  Catherine’s father is shown as Michael, 807? Columbus ave., NYC.  She was admitted 5/1, 10-  discharged 5/1, 1:30.

Offline shelleyf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 November 23 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, interesting. She is at 809 Columbus Ave in 1930 with her husband and daughter, Henry and Dorothy Nicklen

Quote from: Lisa in California link=topic=877760.msg7497677#msg7497677 [sup
date[/sup]=1698904820]
Catherine’s father is shown as Michael, 807? Columbus ave., NYC.  She was admitted 5/1, 10-  discharged 5/1, 1:30.

Offline shelleyf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 November 23 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Ah, yes. I just found it at the end of the passenger list. Never knew this existed. Thank you Lisa.

Thanks Lisa. Yes, I have her on the Carmania. Did you find that form on Ancestry?

If she sailed on the Carmania (arrived Apr 28, 1925) she was included on a “Record of Detained Aliens” form.  Catherine’s father is shown as Michael, 807? Columbus ave., NYC.  She was admitted 5/1, 10-  discharged 5/1, 1:30.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 November 23 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Ah, yes. I just found it at the end of the passenger list. Never knew this existed. Thank you Lisa.

Yes, my details were found on Ancestry.  :)

May I ask, please, have you found Catherine in 1911?  Perhaps the O’Hanlon trees that I’ve seen are incorrect, but I didn’t see Catherine with her parents in 1911.  :-\.  I also didn’t see her in 1921 but perhaps my subscription doesn’t cover the 1921 England census.

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a Record of Detained Aliens prior to tonight. 
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shelleyf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 November 23 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

I think this is Catherine in 1911 - with her grandmother in Ireland - http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Killevy/Clonlum/304464/

Do you have a Findmypast sub? The 1921 census is available there. I don’t think it is on Ancestry.

Thanks for your interest.

Shelley

Yes, my details were found on Ancestry.  :)

May I ask, please, have you found Catherine in 1911?  Perhaps the O’Hanlon trees that I’ve seen are incorrect, but I didn’t see Catherine with her parents in 1911.  :-\.  I also didn’t see her in 1921 but perhaps my subscription doesn’t cover the 1921 England census.

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a Record of Detained Aliens prior to tonight.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 November 23 13:37 GMT (UK) »
The original post  for Catherine had the father Michael at 229 East Street New York .
This Catherine was 20 years old when she arrived.

Stated they are in Liverpool 1921. There is no Catherine Hanlon aged 15/16 in Liverpool with a father Michael.

The mother on the arrival record is Mary Hanlon of 35 Marn Street off Derby Road, Bootle Lancashire.

Which family are you looking for.

Shelleyf .  What do you know for sure about your Catherine Hanlon.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 November 23 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Michael Hanlon's parents' names, his date of birth, or when he arrived in the US?

Offline shelleyf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 November 23 21:05 GMT (UK) »

Sorry for the confusion, amondg. As I mentioned in my reply #8, Catherine is in Bootle, West Derby in 1921 under Kate O'Hanlon. The address is 35 Mann Street.

Catherine, now married to Henry Nicklen, is at 809 Columbus Ave in 1930. At the end of the passenger list of the Carmania in the “Record of Detained Aliens” (mentioned by Lisa in California in Reply #6) it says she was discharged on 1st May and her father is at 807 Columbus Ave. When she leaves Liverpool, she gives his address as 229 East 95th Street. So looks like Michael moved. Still can’t find him in 1930 though.

Shelley

The original post  for Catherine had the father Michael at 229 East Street New York .
This Catherine was 20 years old when she arrived.

Stated they are in Liverpool 1921. There is no Catherine Hanlon aged 15/16 in Liverpool with a father Michael.

The mother on the arrival record is Mary Hanlon of 35 Marn Street off Derby Road, Bootle Lancashire.

Which family are you looking for.

Shelleyf .  What do you know for sure about your Catherine Hanlon.