Author Topic: Trace Ancestor  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Cosmos55

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trace Ancestor
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 November 23 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Annie Bessie Brown was changed to Freida Stephanie Hayward on adoption to Louis and Mary Elizabeth Hayward between 1906 and 1911 (Census)
Married in 1929 to Herbert Cecil Barraclough in Bristol - then became Freida Stephanie Hayward
Left Herbert Cecil about 1948-1951 and subsequently changed her name by deed poll as didnt want to persue a divorce apparently.

Offline Cosmos55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 November 23 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Any details I know were from a conversation from an elderly close friend to my mother at Freida Stephanies funeral. Freida tried to get a passport on leaving her husband but couldnt seem to find her birth cert. She finally managed to learn from her adoptee mother that she was adopted.

She had four names:
Annie Bessie born in Dublin 11 Jan 1906
Freida Stephanie Hayward (adopted name by Louis and Mary Elizabeth) NO RECORD OF ADOPTION
Freida Stephanie Felton - name changed by deed poll (partner Jack Felton) Oxfordshire

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 07 November 23 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Cosmos, Thanks for the additional information to clarify.

I really think your next step would be to order the marriage certificate, as you need to identify exactly who Thomas Brown was. This may help to find a death for him. Then you may know better when the family returned to England from India, and help understand when an informal adoption might have taken place.

Marriage certificate - Annie Ruth Raven to Thomas Brown
Jan-Mar 1903 Reading Berkshire
Vol 2c Page 589

I have looked for shipping records of their return travel to England between 1908 and 1911, but could see nothing. Others may be able to find something, or it could be that the family returned as part of a military group.
There are numerous possibilities – Thomas left the army; he died in India or England; or Thomas and Annie separated – we can only speculate. Accessing the full birth record for the son born in India in 1908 may give you a better understanding of the father’s position in terms of work.

Note – there is a death of a Thomas William Brown (age 31) on 15 Nov 1909 in  Lahore, Bengal India.  There is also a death in 1923 India of another Thomas Brown (age 50).
I don’t know if either is the right man, but you could follow up on them.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Cosmos55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 07 November 23 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Neale

You have provided some incredible information for me to share with my family and I am totally amazed! Thank you.
I have written to Berkshire Regiment to see if they have any suggestions or records of a local place/solicitors where Army babies were adopted during 1906-1911.
I shall follow up your suggestions for research/certificates.

Offline Cosmos55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 07 November 23 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Neale - quick question - re Note in your last message which records did you find details of the deaths of the 2 Thomas Brown entries in Lahore please so I can investigate further?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 01:40 GMT (UK) »
No point in looking at deaths until you have basic information about who your Thomas Brown was.
If you want to make progress with your puzzle, his marriage certificate would be needed.  :)

apply here
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Cosmos55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neale

I now have the marriage certificate for Thomas Brown to Annie Ruth Raven. Registry Office Reading
Married 28 March 1903
Thomas Brown age 28 (no middle name) Sargeant in 49th Berkshire (father Henry Brown)
Annie Ruth Raven age 23 living 20 St Georges Road, Reading England (father William Raven)

Strange cant find any date of death for Annie or her husband Thomas or son THomas Henry William Brown born in India

No idea who the third child was.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Left Herbert Cecil about 1948-1951 and subsequently changed her name by deed poll as didnt want to persue a divorce apparently.
death
MAr qtr 1986
Freida Stephanie BARRACLOUGH
Reg Bath v22 pg227

I've checked The London Gazette and there is no  name change listed. Her death registered as Barraclough would indicate the name change was informal.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 28 November 23 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Had a quick check on 1921 and only 2 Annie Browns born Berkshire listed
1. was married to Leonard Brown and had 9 children
2. was a servant - cook, states born abt Jul 1883 Wantage, but as she is working for the family in Wantage, they may have just assumed she was local. Oh.... and it says married not Widow
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.