Author Topic: ThruLines is gone  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ThruLines is gone
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 November 23 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hence reply #14 above.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 November 23 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Now in a typical Thruline we get a DNA match and the line from them to the MRCA.

In the line from the DNA match there is Tom with his Father Dick, Grandfather Harry and Great Grandfather Bill shown.

Looking at the trees via the evaluate link of each of them shows that Dick’s Father is not Harry but Eddie.

Harry’s Father is then shown not as Bill but as Charlie.

Thrulines is bust.

I have a DNA match who is managed via his Maternal Grandmother with whom I am in Ancestry Messaging contact with.

The Thruline goes from her Grandson via her to a MRCA.

I share zero DNA with her yet I share DNA with her Son In Law.
Well, I just checked all my new common ancestor links, all smaller ones below 40cM, and they were in fact all accurate, and match the SideView parental side. So I would say, yes treat them with a big pinch of salt, especially where common names are involved, and also where a tree error has been perpetuated many times by people saving an incorrect hint, but for the most part, at least for my trees the system seems to be working pretty well :).

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 November 23 20:42 GMT (UK) »
DNA has proved my grandmother's cert has the wrong father named on it, I still get thrulines to people who have trees based on the paper trail, many of these appeared when a new very active inexperienced close relative ignored all my attempts to persuade them not to simply copy other trees willy nilly. Within 3 weeks of joining Ancestry their tree went from just 3 names to over 4000 and yes it has the wrong father at that point in the tree, it seems to have filled in gaps Thrulines couldn't/wouldn't calculate previously.

Last week I had a new 309cM match pop up who is a descendant of my grandmother, again I urged against copying other trees and explained shared matches, I may as well have blocked the initial message from them as that two generation/3 name tree has bloated to around 2000 names with an entirely incorrect ancestral line back from my grandmother.

I wouldn't say Thrulines is broken as such but it's used and abused by many who can't or won't research to the point where suggestions I receive are far more likely to show the wrong link, it's simply based on the fact that such a high percentage of trees are wrong and many are owned by people who either have no dna test or not dna matches. 

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 November 23 14:47 GMT (UK) »
It is only in the last two months that Thrulines have been throwing a wobbler.

Prior I found them to be useful.

I’m thinking Ancestry have updated their Algorithms.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 November 23 15:07 GMT (UK) »
I have Thrulines  and a subscription at the moment.  Thanks for the warning re parental assignment, I will go through and make a note of which ones Ancestry has allocated to which side as I may not renew my subscription. If they bring in two step verification there will probably be no point, as I have no mobile so won't be able to get into it! Thrulines and the parental allocations are not always accurate but it does provide some clues!

Companies usually allow two step verification via email for customers without mobiles.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 November 23 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Companies usually allow two step verification via email for customers without mobiles.

Ancestry do allow email verification, as explained when you go to the 2-step verification settings in your user profile settings. You can also stay signed in on the same device for up to 30 days, so should only need to enter a verification code twelve times a year if only accessing Ancestry on a single device.

That's not recommended for a public or shared computer, and if you access Ancestry on a different device, you will have to sign in again on that device, but can also choose to allow your verification to be remembered for another 30 days.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 November 23 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the two step verifications, can any-one tell me  where is it under  account settings  that I can give them my mobile number?
I can't find  it  under my account  settings to do it.
I want the codes sent to my mobile number and not my email address.

See below screenshot , the screenshot is the page of when I press the  two step  verification enable button - it only gives  me the email option ,and doesn't give a phone option( which is odd, because it's  totally contradictory to their help  pages - where it says that there is a mobile option when you press the enable button)

I am going around and around in circles  trying  to find where I can add my phone  number to my account, as it isn't giving me the option of a mobile number verification when I press the enable button

Thanks for any help

Edit -  found it ,  all sorted now, it was under that enter password option 

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 November 23 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Deleted.
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 December 23 06:07 GMT (UK) »
What do you expect?

Something for nothing?

As an Ancestry subscriber I would be very unhappy if anyone had the same level of access as I do without paying a subscription.

In my opinion this is a very poorly thought thru and inaccurate comment.

No, it is not something for nothing!

It is something he paid $$$ for. You can't have a DNA test on Ancestry without paying for it, and this service is supposedly what you were paying for!

Why else would you give Ancestry your DNA?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area