Author Topic: ThruLines is gone  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ThruLines is gone
« Reply #27 on: Friday 01 December 23 10:37 GMT (UK) »
What do you expect?

Something for nothing?

As an Ancestry subscriber I would be very unhappy if anyone had the same level of access as I do without paying a subscription.

In my opinion this is a very poorly thought thru and inaccurate comment.

No, it is not something for nothing!

It is something he paid $$$ for. You can't have a DNA test on Ancestry without paying for it, and this service is supposedly what you were paying for!

Why else would you give Ancestry your DNA?

Did you not read the posts?

There was a whinge at not being able to access their Ancestry DNA to the same level as they did when they had a subscription.

My comments is perfectly applicable and valid.

And no, if one takes a DNA test you get the result, you get the matches, you get the ethnicity breakdown, you have received the service that was paid for.

In reality the vast majority of my 20,000+ DNA matches are not active, they have received their results and then fail to follow up on them.

To expect to receive continued access without a subscription is not only naive and totally inconsiderate for all the millions of us who have maintained their subscription for years in addition to buying and taking Ancestry DNA test.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 01 December 23 10:47 GMT (UK) »
What do you expect?

Something for nothing?

As an Ancestry subscriber I would be very unhappy if anyone had the same level of access as I do without paying a subscription.

In my opinion this is a very poorly thought thru and inaccurate comment.

No, it is not something for nothing!

It is something he paid $$$ for. You can't have a DNA test on Ancestry without paying for it, and this service is supposedly what you were paying for!

Why else would you give Ancestry your DNA?

There was a whinge at not being able to access their Ancestry DNA to the same level as they did when they had a subscription.

My comments is perfectly applicable and valid.

And no, if one takes a DNA test you get the result, you get the matches, you get the ethnicity breakdown, you have received the service that was paid for.

In reality the vast majority of my 20,000+ DNA matches are not active, they have received their results and then fail to follow up on them.

To expect to receive continued access without a subscription is not only naive and totally inconsiderate for all the millions of us who have maintained their subscription for years in addition to buying and taking Ancestry DNA test.

Completely disagree. The whole purpose of paying for the Ancestry DNA test is to gain access to DNA matches. Perhaps if "the vast majority of [your] 20,000+ DNA matches are not active" it is precisely because Ancestry are not providing the service they thought they would get?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 01 December 23 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Completely disagree. The whole purpose of paying for the Ancestry DNA test is to gain access to DNA matches. Perhaps if "the vast majority of [your] 20,000+ DNA matches are not active" it is precisely because Ancestry are not providing the service they thought they would get?

I would say that the whole purpose of paying for the Ancestry DNA test for the majority of customers is simply to obtain their "ethnicity" or to give the test as a gift to a family member for the same reason, as per much of the Ancestry marketing. Those of us who purchase a test for relationship matching and resulting genealogical research or corroboration are a minority in comparison to the number of tests sold.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 December 23 11:06 GMT (UK) »

I would say that the whole purpose of paying for the Ancestry DNA test for the majority of customers is simply to obtain their "ethnicity" or to give the test as a gift to a family member for the same reason, as per much of the Ancestry marketing. Those of us who purchase a test for relationship matching and resulting genealogical research or corroboration are a minority in comparison to the number of tests sold.

Very foolish if so. My parents have a very, very well defined origin. Ancestry has had their ethnic origin all over the map of Europe over the last 10 years! Mom was significantly Scandi and Spanish no less. All total nonsense. The only thing that the DNA test gives that is reliable is the matches!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 01 December 23 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Very foolish if so. My parents have a very, very well defined origin. Ancestry has had their ethnic origin all over the map of Europe over the last 10 years! Mom was significantly Scandi and Spanish no less. All total nonsense. The only thing that the DNA test gives that is reliable is the matches!

Exactly, but the majority of customers with no interest in family history research don't know that and are simply drawn in by Ancestry's marketing, either as a point of interest for themselves or as a gift!
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 01 December 23 12:51 GMT (UK) »

Slight correction, not whinging just pointing something out and I have never had a subscription to Ancestry, ThruLines came with the DNA package and still does now it's back.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 03 December 23 11:18 GMT (UK) »

Exactly, but the majority of customers with no interest in family history research don't know that and are simply drawn in by Ancestry's marketing, either as a point of interest for themselves or as a gift!

Precisely.

Come next March we will have another mass on DNA Matches as a result of all the Thanksgiving and Christmas DNA Test Kit presents being given.  By far the vast majority will just look at their Ethnicity, make a mental note of it and ten depart then website.

We even have experienced Genealogists here for years who are “hung up” about the Ethnicity despite being advised that in a few years time the Ethnicity shown will be very different to what they see today.  My own Ethnicity 6 years ago shows a very different make up than it does today.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 03 December 23 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Precisely.

Come next Match we will have another mass on DNA Matches as a result of all the Thanksgiving and Christmas DNA Test Kit presents being given.  By far the vast majority will just look at their Ethnicity, make a mental note of it and ten depart the website.

We even have experienced Genealogists here for years who are “hung up” about the Ethnicity despite being advised that in a few years time the Ethnicity shown will be very different to what they see today.  My own Ethnicity 6 years ago shows a very different make up than it does today.

I received an email from Ancestry yesterday, pushing their DNA tests as a Christmas gift and extolling the virtues of ethnicity results, plus an additional traits result included for only £1 more, as a way of creating interesting family talking points. No mention of the relationship aspect at all. This, I suspect, is what they make most of their profit on from selling test kits.
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 03 December 23 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Precisely.

Come next Match we will have another mass on DNA Matches as a result of all the Thanksgiving and Christmas DNA Test Kit presents being given.  By far the vast majority will just look at their Ethnicity, make a mental note of it and ten depart the website.

I received an email from Ancestry yesterday, pushing their DNA tests as a Christmas gift and extolling the virtues of ethnicity results, plus an additional traits result included for only £1 more, as a way of creating interesting family talking points. No mention of the relationship aspect at all. This, I suspect, is what they make most of their profit on from selling test kits.

Exactly right the Phil.

Looking at it another way, DNA tests as presents subsidise the Ancestry site for the rest of us.

There was a snippet on the radio series The Gift where the accuracy of the procedures used in Traits was put in doubt where anguish is being caused to Women as a result of testers being advised that the “rogue Breast Cancer Genes” BRCA1 or BRCA2 was found in their DNA.