Author Topic: ThruLines is gone  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
ThruLines is gone
« on: Friday 03 November 23 11:00 GMT (UK) »
I don't have a subscription to Ancestry so this may only affect people who only have a DNA test with them.
In DNA summery and results page I get Unlock Exclusive DNA Features where ThruLines used to be, if I use the DNA drop down menu and choose ThruLines I'm taken to my match list, and if I click on View Relationship on a match with a common ancestor I'm again taken to my match list.

Not a great loss as it was so often incorrect but handy when it was correct or close enough as a guide to work it out yourself.

Have everyone lost it?

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ThruLines is gone
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 23 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Mine are still there, but still have a sub until January.

If they were there before without a sub, looks like Ancestry has retweaked to only subscribers. Likely hoping for more revenue.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 November 23 12:46 GMT (UK) »
I have a  sub  and haven't lost it.
You may find  like cas has said , it is  just the  non subs have lost it.
After all  Blackstone is s a  multi billion  dollar business, and needs to make more  money at the end  of day. 
Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 23 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Non subbing USA members have already lost parent assignment along with other features but can access certain dna features for a fee. My UK sub expired a couple of months ago and although there's still a Thrulines button it just links to my dna match list, if I select a 'common ancestor' match it is simply saying who the common ancestor is and no longer displaying the mini trees illustrating the link.
As with every tweak and spanner in the works from Ancestry in the last few years it will do nothing to encourage casual users to engage with the site or answer messages but the 'take a dna test and answer everything' marketing will continue.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 November 23 18:22 GMT (UK) »
What do you expect?

Something for nothing?

As an Ancestry subscriber I would be very unhappy if anyone had the same level of access as I do without paying a subscription.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 November 23 19:00 GMT (UK) »
What do you expect?

Something for nothing?

As an Ancestry subscriber I would be very unhappy if anyone had the same level of access as I do without paying a subscription.

Hear hear - well said.
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 November 23 19:50 GMT (UK) »
At the moment - unless Ancestry make some adjustments - someone with a DNA test but no sub isn't going to be tempted by the prospect of being able to use Thrulines/common ancestor, because they aren't being shown what they could be getting.

Clicking on Thrulines from the dropdown list, or trying to 'view the relationship' to a common ancestor takes you back to the matches list.  Which makes it look as though something is wrong, and not that there is a useful feature which might be worth paying a sub for. 

Seems counterproductive to me.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 November 23 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I have Thrulines  and a subscription at the moment.  Thanks for the warning re parental assignment, I will go through and make a note of which ones Ancestry has allocated to which side as I may not renew my subscription. If they bring in two step verification there will probably be no point, as I have no mobile so won't be able to get into it! Thrulines and the parental allocations are not always accurate but it does provide some clues!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 November 23 20:14 GMT (UK) »
DNA tests aren’t free.

Just looking at the stuff they want you to subscribe to doesn’t list TrueLines but it could be buried further in.
For 29.99 dollars for 6 months you get
Traits
Traits Inheritance
Ethnicity Inheritance
Matches Inheritance
DNA Chromosome Painter