Author Topic: Trying to find burial or cremation place for a Maria Charlton  (Read 974 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Trying to find burial or cremation place for a Maria Charlton
« on: Friday 03 November 23 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello RootsChatters, this enquiry covers a couple of counties but as my 2x Great Aunt was born in South Shields I have placed it here. Maria Thompson was born in 1873 South Shields, she married Robert Charlton in 1923 at Gateshead and Robert charlton died 1937 and is buried in Saltwell cemetery, Gateshead. The last address I have for them is Mayfair Road, Jesmond, Newcastle at the time of Robert's death until Marie's death  where according to her death certificate she died at 'Mount Lands', 3 Enville Road, Bowdon, Altrinchamon on 10 August 1964. I presume at that time it was a nursing home but is now a private residence. Maria's address at her death was 21 Heath Road, Stockport.
Now I can vaguely remember being taken to "Aunt Marry's' house (as she was called to us) as a very small child by my mother and from memory it was a terrace house in South Shields. When speaking to my older brother recently he can remember going to her funeral here in the North East (Newcastle area) and she still had her house in South Shields. What I am trying to find out and help needed is exactly where the funeral took place, he thinks it was the West End crematorium in Newcastle but isn't certain.
As a side note, in her will she allowed each family to take one of her possessions as a memoir, we have a beautiful oil painting by a NE painter. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find burial or cremation place for a Maria Charlton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 23 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Definitely not buried with her husband?

I would suggest looking in local newspapers in case there was a death notice with funeral details.

As you have the exact death date you could ask the crematorium you think it may have been to check their records for her.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 23 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that your brother was mistaken, and perhaps remembers someone else's funeral?

Deceased Online, which doesn't have full nationwide coverage, has a record for a Maria Charlton who died on 10 August 1964 with a ceremony on 13 August, in what is now Greater Manchester. The site includes records from Trafford Council, which includes Altrincham and its crematorium, so that could be worth investigating.

You can't see any more details unless you buy a sub or credits; it looks as though the minimum spend is £5, but that would cover more than one entry.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 November 23 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that your brother was mistaken, and perhaps remembers someone else's funeral?

Deceased Online, which doesn't have full nationwide coverage, has a record for a Maria Charlton who died on 10 August 1964 with a ceremony on 13 August, in what is now Greater Manchester. The site includes records from Trafford Council, which includes Altrincham and its crematorium, so that could be worth investigating.

You can't see any more details unless you buy a sub or credits; it looks as though the minimum spend is £5, but that would cover more than one entry.
Thanks Arthur, my brother is 81 so memory can be a bit hazy, however no other deaths in the family at Newcastle area except our grandfather which was 8 years later (neither of these funerals I attended). I thought it strange that a body would be taken back to home town unless requested by family members. I think it best to concentrate on the one you mentioned as date of death is correct. Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 November 23 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Could it be the West Road Crematorium~

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/bereavement-services/west-road-crematorium

Gadget

Add opened 1934
Thanks Gadget, will give this a checkout next time in Newcastle. I spent my first 21 years living 5 minutes walk from 'the crem' and both my parents and fathers grandparents were cremated there but no one paid to have their details entered onto the rememberence book. Paul

Info on all N/c Crems and Cemeteries ~
https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/bereavement-services/crematorium-and-cemeteries-newcastle

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 November 23 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Definitely not buried with her husband?

I would suggest looking in local newspapers in case there was a death notice with funeral details.

As you have the exact death date you could ask the crematorium you think it may have been to check their records for her.
Thanks Milliepede, I went looking for her husbands grave last time (2019) that I was in Newcastle area (I live in Australia) but was unable to find it so maybe no headstone. Next time in Newcastle will go along to main library and check out the newspapers. Thanks again, Paul

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 November 23 11:43 GMT (UK) »
When my work hours next fit with their late opening hours I will check at this library for you.  It may not be until December but I will do it in due course when I can.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 November 23 12:11 GMT (UK) »

Deceased online shows this as taking place at a Crematorium
Cremation Register summary
Maria Charlton
Date of death 10th August 1964
cremation date 13 August 1964
location Greater Manchester

If this is your Maria which seems most likely then her ashes could have been scattered anywhere, these records often note whether the ashes were scattered at the Crematorium or taken away and by whom.  It may be best to get this record before others spend time trawling records for you  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk