Author Topic: Trying to find burial or cremation place for a Maria Charlton  (Read 972 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find burial or cremation place for a Maria Charlton
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 November 23 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that your brother was mistaken, and perhaps remembers someone else's funeral?

Deceased Online, which doesn't have full nationwide coverage, has a record for a Maria Charlton who died on 10 August 1964 with a ceremony on 13 August, in what is now Greater Manchester. The site includes records from Trafford Council, which includes Altrincham and its crematorium, so that could be worth investigating.

You can't see any more details unless you buy a sub or credits; it looks as though the minimum spend is £5, but that would cover more than one entry.

Deceased online shows this as taking place at a Crematorium
Cremation Register summary
Maria Charlton
Date of death 10th August 1964
cremation date 13 August 1964
location Greater Manchester

If this is your Maria which seems most likely then her ashes could have been scattered anywhere, these records often note whether the ashes were scattered at the Crematorium or taken away and by whom.  It may be best to get this record before others spend time trawling records for you  :)
Many thanks Rosie, yes that is her she was cremated at Altrincham cemetery and her name appears in the book of rememberence there. Whether her ashes were taken to the family in the Newcastle area we will never know as it has been pointed out to me that they weren't placed in her husbands grave. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 November 23 14:15 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks Rosie, yes that is her she was cremated at Altrincham cemetery and her name appears in the book of rememberence there. Whether her ashes were taken to the family in the Newcastle area we will never know as it has been pointed out to me that they weren't placed in her husbands grave. Paul

What information does the register on Deceased online give as to what happened to the ashes
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 November 23 04:59 GMT (UK) »

What information does the register on Deceased online give as to what happened to the ashes
Hi Rosie, have checked out and information given is that the ashes were picked up by her nephew (her sisters son), the same person who was the informant on her death certificate and her ashes were scattered in the rememberence area of Altrincham crematorium. So now I know the final resting place and can inform my brother that he was wrong. Of course this poses another question, which funeral did he attend!!!! Many thanks for your assistance. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields