Author Topic: Trying to find burial or cremation place for a Maria Charlton  (Read 973 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find burial or cremation place for a Maria Charlton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 November 23 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Here is the grave register at Saltwell, there is no indication of any burial of ashes in the plot in which Robert is interred
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-P3VC-C946-R?i=743&cat=825084

I agree with Rosie that your first move should be to purchase the full record from Deceased Online. Once you know exactly where the cremation took place you can enquire there for possible further details.

If you visit Saltwell again Robert is interred in section 6 plot number 6179. Staff at the Cemetery office might well be able to advise you of the exact position of the grave.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 November 23 15:26 GMT (UK) »

Entry in Book of Remembrance for the Maria Charlton who was cremated at Altrincham Crematorium
https://www.remembrance-books.com/Altrincham/pages/081001l.jpg

Perhaps the birth date would help to ascertain if she is the lady you are looking for?

Boo

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 November 23 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Nice find, Boo.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 November 23 17:44 GMT (UK) »

Entry in Book of Remembrance for the Maria Charlton who was cremated at Altrincham Crematorium

Perhaps the birth date would help to ascertain if she is the lady you are looking for?

Boo

Cracking find, Boo :D

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 November 23 17:48 GMT (UK) »
She's been firkling again  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 November 23 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Arthur, and Allan
Its always worth a shot as, since Covid, more Books of Remembrance are now online and as we had a date of death it was easy to find.  Hope its the one Paul is looking for.

She's been firkling again  :D

Yep, its my default research method :-)

Boo

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 November 23 11:24 GMT (UK) »
When my work hours next fit with their late opening hours I will check at this library for you.  It may not be until December but I will do it in due course when I can.
Hi River Tyne Lass, many thanks for that but Boo has found out the information, she was cremated at Altrincham (greater Manchester) and  has been placed in the book of rememberence. Whether her ashes came back to family in Gateshead we will not know but they weren't placed in her husbands grave in Saltwell. Thanks again, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 November 23 11:29 GMT (UK) »

Boo
Absolutely Bootiful!!, well done Boo. yes that will be her as I have her as being born 2Q 1873, thank you so much for your assistance again. I think a lot has progressed online since covid, a lot of which I am not aware of as having given it a break for a couple of years and only starting to get back into it again. Much appreciated, Paul
I notice on the rememberence notice that it states 'happy memories of our beloved aunt' it was her nephew who was the informant on the death certificate.

Cracking find, Boo :D
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 November 23 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Here is the grave register at Saltwell, there is no indication of any burial of ashes in the plot in which Robert is interred
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-P3VC-C946-R?i=743&cat=825084

I agree with Rosie that your first move should be to purchase the full record from Deceased Online. Once you know exactly where the cremation took place you can enquire there for possible further details.

If you visit Saltwell again Robert is interred in section 6 plot number 6179. Staff at the Cemetery office might well be able to advise you of the exact position of the grave.
Many thanks Jen, Tickettyboo has located her, she was cremated at Altrincham cemetery and she appears in the book of rememberence there. Whether her ashes were returned to the NE for family we will never know.
Thank you for advising me of Robert's section and grave number and also that he is buried with his son (from a previous marriage). Over 10 years ago i enquired regarding my G.Grandparents who were buried there. Nothing was online and it was going to cost me 30 pounds per enquiry for them to give me details. I decided to wander around instead and after establishing the area where they would have been buried I walked all around the area (sections 1-5). After about 3 hours and with a dozen gravestones left to read i looked at one and couldn't believe my eyes, found them and their eldest daughter all in one grave. Talk about making my day!!! From memory I know where section 6 is so next time in the UK that is a must visit. Many thanks, I appreciate your assistance. Paul