Author Topic: New Jersey death, maybe  (Read 164 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
New Jersey death, maybe
« on: Friday 03 November 23 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Did this woman die in New Jersey?
Mary Ann Carroll, born October 1, 1894, County Armagh, Ireland, daughter of Bernard Carroll and Brigid Hollywood.

Her US Social Security information in 1942 said October 11, 1897.
She said she was born October 31, 1897, when she declared her intention to become a citizen in Newark, New Jersey, in 1924.

She was working as a nurse in Maplewood Township, NJ in 1950. Her sister Bridget Teresa was working at the same institution.
That is the last I have of her. The only date on her Social Security information is 1942.

They had at least an uncle in New Jersey, so there could have been a death notice.
Mary Ann died before her brother Michael in October 1992, since his death notice only mentions one surviving sister.
Bridget died in England in 1996.
Thank you.

---
edit - I don't think Bernard and Brigid had two children named Mary Ann. I looked through all the 1890s for children of that couple.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Jersey death, maybe
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 23 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Bridget died in England in 1996.

Did she come back to England on her own whenever she came?  Wondering if Mary Ann came back with her.

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 November 23 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I don't know when Bridget returned, but yes I am thinking Mary Ann returned as well at some point.
I'm just hoping to find something in NJ for her. If not - there are a dozen or so possible deaths for Mary Ann in England, so I don't think I'll be sorting through them. None were exactly where Bridget died.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 23 16:20 GMT (UK) »
There are city directories for Maplewood, NJ here - http://www.digifind-it.com/maplewood/views/showYearCategories.php?id=3  The one from 1950 has a Mary A. Carroll who moved to Irvington.  All other Mary Carrolls in that directory had different middle initials/names.

Considering that she's not showing up on the Social Security death index, I suspect she died by the early 1960's.  The New Jersey death index can be viewed by year towards the middle of this page - https://www.newjerseydeathindex.com/

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 November 23 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.
1. Someone in Irvington was a witness when her sister petitioned to be naturalized, so I will see who she is and if they connect somehow.
2. I forgot the available SSDI doesn't start until the 1960's. That would explain it.
3. I'll get started on the death indexes next.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 November 23 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.
1. Someone in Irvington was a witness when her sister petitioned to be naturalized, so I will see who she is and if they connect somehow.
2. I forgot the available SSDI doesn't start until the 1960's. That would explain it.
3. I'll get started on the death indexes next.

My father passed away in California a number of years ago.  His name has never appeared in the index.  I believe an error while filling out paperwork was one explanation given by a RootsChatter.  Another suggestion (I don’t know if it is accurate) was because my mum was drawing his benefits (when I searched for his name).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)