Author Topic: Drumbin Road- What townland  (Read 247 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drumbin Road- What townland
« on: Saturday 04 November 23 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Can anyone advise what town land Drumbin Road would have been? A Great Aunt died in 1947 and on the death record it gave the address of Drumbin Road, Monaghan. This lady was a spinster who lived all her life in the Rafeenan area and I would like to see if she owned her home at the time of her death or if any other relatives lived with her or near her.

Also, I'm trying to see if my ancestors who lived in Monaghan may have travelled to Scotland to do farm labour during the off season in Ireland. Can anyone advise what areas in Scotland the men from Co. Monaghan may have travelled to for farm labour  so I could connect them to settling in Monaghan.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for now.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Drumbin Road- What townland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 November 23 11:25 GMT (UK) »
See your old post at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=853208.0 for some of the answers.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 November 23 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for responding late but was ill these past few days. I had reviewed all the previous information that was provided to me. I was hoping maybe somebody who lived near the area of Drumbin Road could pin point exactly where it was in Co. Monaghan. Every map I look at I can't locate so was wondering it could be a road that doesn't exist anymore.  Will keep searching but grateful for the help I always receive from here.

Cheers.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 06:45 GMT (UK) »
OP is misreading the death registration. There is no reference to a Drumbin Road. Which was I believe already pointed out on the previous thread.

The death registration is that of Jane Graham in 1947? Available here -
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1947/04574/4208994.pdf

The place of death is clearly given as Drumbin. That is the townland. The address of the informant, her son, is similarly Drumbin.

The RD in the first column is not road, but the abbreviation for Rural District - i.e. the death was in a rural district. All the deaths have RD in this column.

Also, while she may have been a spinster, the death was registered by her son.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 08:16 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping maybe somebody who lived near the area of Drumbin Road could pin point exactly where it was in Co. Monaghan.

Have a look at the roads in Drumbin townland east of Scotstown, Co Monaghan.
Google StreetView
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.2838544,-7.0309382,14z?authuser=0&entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.2886642,-7.0342856,3a,75y,307.69h,69.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_NQ0XB2s25NDQI4FVc2Wkg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?authuser=0&entry=ttu

http://tinyurl.com/38hp7mu5

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this help. Townland of Drumlin.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for this help. Townland of Drumlin.

A typo? - You mean Drumbin, don't you?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area