Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Doldy
« on: Saturday 04 November 23 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello

What was or is Doldy in Worcester?
I have many relatives described as living here in the early 19th century. I believe it was in the city centre. Was it a street or an area of the city?

I can see a current "Dolday Street". Is that an evolution of the name?
I can also see a previous forum entry that describes Doldy being replaced by Deansway? Was it a straight strop for that road?

Any help, guidance or history of this city area would be most welcome, particularly in the time period 1800 to 1840.

Many thanks

Neil

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Doldy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 November 23 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doldy
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 23 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil_A
heywood has found a useful map for you. Dolday/Doldy was not part of Deansway as this was a road cut through I think in the 19th century. (Trying to remember where I read that!) Deansway absorbed part of the poor area of Birdport and the congested housing around St Andrews and All Saints. Looking at the Archive catalogue on the Worcs Archive website “ Explore the Past” Dolday was an area of small courts, some backing onto Newport Street. In the 1841 census you can see that more than 120 men, women and children lived in Doldy Street.
The link below gives you an idea of what the area was still like less than 100 years ago.
HTH
Jack
https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/17269374.nostalgia-birdport-dolday-real-live-places-worcester/