Author Topic: After spousal abandonment, how long before remarriage allowed? England 1830s-40s  (Read 1145 times)

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This is a long story, so please let me set out some details before stating my question.

John Lawton (JL) = Harriot Bates 4 Oct 1830 in Clayton West with High Hoyland, Yorkshire. They had three children, the most recent being Antonina baptised (as Antinanoh) 29 Apr 1835, d.o.b. given as 25 Mar 1835. The parents were named as John and Harriet; he was a coal miner.

On 8 Sep 1839 Ann Lawton and Henry Lawton were baptised in Clayton West, their d.o.bs being given as 22 Nov 1837 and 27 Jun 1839 respectively. They were identified as the illegitimate children of Harriet Lawton, spinster, with these marginalia against "spinster": "by mistake, should be widow". The marginalia are initialled by the curate but not dated.

In the 1841 census we find Harriet Lawton plus two of the three children from her marriage with John, plus Ann and Henry; the ages match up (given the 1841 conventions). Also in the household is Jameson Firth (JF). Later, Harriet Lawton = Jameson Firth on 10 Nov 1844 in Emley - with her residence given as Skelmanthorpe, close to Clayton West - and her marital status stated as widow.

All this sounds as though Harriet married JL and then, after John's death, married again, this time to JF. However, there are two problems.

The first is that I can't find a death or burial for JL during the relevant period.

The second is more curious. Harriet and JF had banns published several times in the 1830s but, as noted, weren't actually married until 1844. (In what follows, the records state that he was of the parish of Emley, and she was of the parish of High Hoyland - which we can take as All Saints, Clayton West with High Hoyland.) A note in the Emley parish records says the couple were scheduled to be married on 26 Mar 1837, following banns, but "never appeared"; banns were published in Clayton West on 17 Sep, 24 Sep and 1 Oct 1837; idem Emley 15, 22 and 29 Oct 1837; idem Emley 20 and 27 Oct, 3 Nov 1844 (by which time she too was "of this parish").

As I can't find JL's death, I wonder if he and Harriet split up in the mid-1830s (for what reason we'll never know, from his possible abandonment of the family - which I surmised in the subject line - to her relationship with JF). I wonder if Harriet and JF tried to marry in 1837 but weren't allowed to do so until 1844?

How long would a person have to wait following (let's say) the disappearance of a spouse, before being free to marry again? What other reason might there be for the delay of seven years before Harriet and JF could marry? (Recall that the 1841 census suggests they were living together during that time.)

Alternatively, would a person be unable to remarry failing evidence of their spouse's death, no matter how long it had been since the latter left the marriage? If that's the case, it should help me find JL's death; Harriet Lawton (as spinster this time, rather than widow) had another child, Ellen, baptised in Emley on 16 Jun 1844 - five months before Harriet = JF. This would mean that JL died during those five months, or at least that news reached Emley during that period. (I still can't find him, even so.)

Sorry to go into so much detail. It would be helpful even to know in general terms what the requirements were for remarriage in the case of spousal disappearance. If anyone could find JL's actual death or burial records - even more, if they could find whether he had any other children with someone else - that would be extraordinarily useful. Many thanks.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: After spousal abandonment, how long before remarriage allowed? England 1830s-40s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 November 23 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Don't quote me, but I always understood that it was 6/7 years.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: After spousal abandonment, how long before remarriage allowed? England 1830s-40s
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 November 23 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Seven years if there had been no sign of the missing spouse, but the second marriage was more likely to have been bigamous, which was quite common.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 November 23 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I have 3 marriages seven years after a likely desertion. One is most bizarre as the woman had 5 children with another man having left her husband but then married a different chap - only 3 months after the birth of their last child - 7 years after leaving the first husband.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 November 23 10:25 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there was any requirement to prove their marital status so a death ertificate for former husband would not have been required.  If in a parish where both were previously unknown then the fact that it was stated she was a widow would be acceptable - unless anybody popped up to state otherwise.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 November 23 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Just pulling together some of the earlier answers, prior to the Matrimonial Causes Act 1857 (20 & 21 Vict. c. 85), divorce was handled by the ecclesiastical courts. There were no hard and fast rules in those courts about what constituted abandonment. Cases tended to judged on their specific circumstances. But it is worth remembering that most common people couldn't afford the cost of petitioning for divorce through the courts.

The other side of the coin is bigamy. This was made a felony (ie a criminal offence) by the Bigamy Act 1603 (its actual title is 1 Jas 1 c.11). The Act provided the following defence, which is where the 7 year rule originates:
... if any persons or persons within his Majesty's Dominions of England and Wales, being married, or which hereafter shall marry, do at any time after the end of the session of this present Parliament, marry any person or persons, the former husband or wife being alive ... then every such offence shall be felony ... Provided always, that neither this Act, nor anything therein contained, shall extend to any person or persons whose husband or wife shall be continually remaining beyond the seas by the space of seven years together, or whose husband or wife shall absent him or herself the one from the other by the space of seven years together, in any parts within his Majesties Dominions, the one of them not knowing the other to be living within that time.

The Matrimonial Causes Act 1857 specifically excused vicars who declined to remarry someone who had obtained a divorce, if this offended the vicar's religious beliefs. The Act was silent on the matter of desertion where this didn't lead to a divorce decree.

Offline nicholastolson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 November 23 02:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, all. Much appreciated.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 November 23 10:08 GMT (UK) »
For the sake of clarity, my comment above only applies in England and Wales. Scotland and Northern Ireland, and of course the Republic of Ireland, have different laws on the subject. 

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 10:58 GMT (UK) »
There is a possibility that the first husband left the UK and that would explain a lack of death and burial records.
My great great grandfather, according to family lore, abandoned the family and went “to America “.  I have not found any trace of him in the US or Canada.  His wife married again, almost exactly 7 years after the birth of the youngest child, but sadly she died within a few months of tuberculosis.  This family was also resident in W. Yorkshire, around Halifax and Huddersfield.