Author Topic: Anzac March in Sydney 1950-60s - Man tossing a mace into the air  (Read 494 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anzac March in Sydney 1950-60s - Man tossing a mace into the air
« on: Sunday 05 November 23 08:02 GMT (UK) »
As I child I remember seeing a man tossing a mace (I think that was what it was called)into the air and catching it as he marched along in the Sydney Anzac March.  Does anyone have any other information on this man or what he was doing etc.   I was told that if he dropped it then he would lie down on the road and let the rest of the march walk across him.  Is this true?

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Anzac March in Sydney 1950-60s - Man tossing a mace into the air
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 November 23 08:32 GMT (UK) »
I think you are probably remembering the drum major who leads the marching band. He carries a baton, or mace, which is used both "theatrically" and to conduct/direct the band. I'm not sure about the response to dropping the mace though! I would have thought that he would just pick it up and continue somewhat embarrassed, though I could be wrong.  :)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 November 23 11:31 GMT (UK) »
thanks for reply maddys52,  But I definitely saw a man tossing what I thought was a long stick or staff into the air and catching it - as kids we used to wait for him to appear each Anzac Day in Sydney.  He was not part of a band just a serviceman.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 November 23 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Drum Major Bill Barclay proving he's Master of the Mace

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01srj/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 November 23 21:55 GMT (UK) »
thanks for reply maddys52,  But I definitely saw a man tossing what I thought was a long stick or staff into the air and catching it - as kids we used to wait for him to appear each Anzac Day in Sydney.  He was not part of a band just a serviceman.

The role of the leader with the mace is to guide the marchers.  Usually this is seen in marching bands where it is used as a flourish also. But keeping the marchers marching in time and giving directions to the column behind is important.  When looking at Drum Major Barclay you can see hime using the baton/mace to give instructions.....there is a clip of him swinging the baton around himself as a signal to the band to circle around him.  I have seen the baton used to point a right  or left turn where voice commands would be lost in the hubbub abd hand signs would not be able to be seen from way behind.

Perhaps the ex serviceman was a former pipe band player who had the experience to guide the marchers. 

I remeber watching these Drum Majors and wondering how it was that they could use the mace between their feet and not trip up. 

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 November 23 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shanreagh, Thanks for reply.  The man I remember was not leading a march in any way - he was just amongst the men marching.  The question I am trying to verify is 'did this man claim that if he dropped the mace that he would lay down on the road and let the others in the parade march over him?  No doubt he must have had some experience with the mace in a band etc. but I don't think he was in this role when I used to see him.  He was one of the people we 'looked out for' in the march each year.  You would think there is some photo or film footage that included him as lots of people looked to see him each year.   

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 November 23 00:15 GMT (UK) »
There are many photos of the Anzac Day march over the years on trove. Of possible relevance, this article from the Woman's Weekly in 1971 is about "Dinks" PATERSON "... for the past 20 years he has led his unit, the 13th battalion, 1st AIF, in the march through Sydney, a tall erect old gentleman spinning a silver baton through his fingers in spectacular fashion ..."
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/44800544/4891076

No mention of what happens if he dropped the mace, though being a comedian, perhaps that was the story that was told about it?

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 November 23 00:40 GMT (UK) »
There was about 37,000 men marching each year through Sidney on Anzac Day during that period.   

It would be a shambles if a soldier at the front of the parade stopped to pick up an object.  A sudden stop would cause a pile up of men behind him, which means he has to carry on marching even if he dropped his mace.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 November 23 03:23 GMT (UK) »
.......  I was told that if he dropped it then he would lie down on the road and let the rest of the march walk across him.  Is this true?

I wonder if this might have been a parent teasing a child who was avidly watching.......