Author Topic: Anzac March in Sydney 1950-60s - Man tossing a mace into the air  (Read 491 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Anzac March in Sydney 1950-60s - Man tossing a mace into the air
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 November 23 04:34 GMT (UK) »
I suspect you are probably right shanreagh.  :D

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 November 23 23:09 GMT (UK) »
thanks Erato but the man I remember was dressed in an ordinary suit not kilt.  Appreciate you looking to help me.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 November 23 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shanreagh but I don't remember my man being a leader of group - just a man in an ordinary suit and tossing his mace.  I don't think he was there to guide the march or give instructions.  Thanks for assistance

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 November 23 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shanreagh but I don't remember my man being a leader of group - just a man in an ordinary suit and tossing his mace.  I don't think he was there to guide the march or give instructions.  Thanks for assistance

I think you have really answered your own queries?  The man was throwing a mace, may have had marching band or army band experience to do this, had served in Aus Forces and therefore able to march in the ANZAC Parades.  I don't remember seeing sole mace throwers but I do remember seeing all manner of kit being worn from smart suits with the RSA pin like my dad to various coloured blazers that mainly overseas regiments had ......these marchers had clearly emigrated to NZ after the war and so marched in their colours, Maori Battalion servicemen with cloaks, marching bands of all types and this was in a small rural town of 6,000 or so people.  My memory about the mace thrower was not the tossing in the air so much but the movements when they passed the mace around their feet*.

*ETA I learned tennis and serving from an early age so the co-ordination of throwing and hitting compared with the mace throwing and walking did not make me as agog then as how they managed to walk without tripping when they moved it around & between their marching  feet.  (Clearly before various fitness regimes with moving logs/skipping etc!) 

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 00:11 GMT (UK) »
"dressed in an ordinary suit not kilt"

I didn't mean to imply that a kilt (or any other kind of military uniform) was required, merely that drum majors are the people who know how to handle a mace.  He could be dressed in a business suit or stark naked, but he almost certainly learned his mace skills in a military marching band at some point.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 00:40 GMT (UK) »
"dressed in an ordinary suit not kilt"

I didn't mean to imply that a kilt (or any other kind of military uniform) was required, merely that drum majors are the people who know how to handle a mace.  He could be dressed in a business suit or stark naked, but he almost certainly learned his mace skills in a military marching band at some point.

Yes that is my point too.  Dressed in a kilt and accompanied by a band is one thing but if a soldier had experience as a drum major either in a military band or on civvy street then he would be able to participate.  I suspect he would not be marching shoulder to shoulder with the rest of his fellows but may have been separated from the rest so as to be able to show his marching & throwing skills etc skills. 

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 03:02 GMT (UK) »
As you say "He was one of the people we 'looked out for' in the march each year", he could well have been "Dinks" PATERSON. In the article I referenced in reply #6 it says that "Anzac Day is a special day for Dinks. He has become almost as well know to the children of Sydney on Anzac Day as he was to their grandparents in his heyday." He was with his battalion, not leading a band.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 November 23 10:07 GMT (UK) »
thanks maddy52,  Maybe it was Dinks, but when I read the article it just didn't seem to fit with my memory.  I will have to re-read it.  Maybe I will find someone who remembers seeing the same man sometime in the future.  thank again