Author Topic: County City Commission papers  (Read 310 times)

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
County City Commission papers
« on: Sunday 05 November 23 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if the records of the Dublin County City Commission are available? I'm looking for a case that was scheduled for "the commission for Oyer and Terminer for the county and city of Dublin" in February 1911.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: County City Commission papers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 23 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if the records of the Dublin County City Commission are available? I'm looking for a case that was scheduled for "the commission for Oyer and Terminer for the county and city of Dublin" in February 1911.

This is just a fancy name for the Assizes for Dublin. Usually fully reported in the newspapers, to which I would resort.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 23 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Do you know if the Southern Police Court also has a more common name?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 23 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Do you know if the Southern Police Court also has a more common name?

That is its common name. The Dublin Metropolitan Police Court had at least three locations - Central, Southern, and Northern. I believe this is the Dublin equivalent to petty sessions in rural areas.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 November 23 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Do you know, by any chance, if any of the records of the the police court have survived? I asked the archive but they weren't familiar with the name. The case I am interested in was scheduled for the assizes but was dropped before it went to trial.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 November 23 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the Prisoner books will have something useful to you.
https://digital.ucd.ie/view/ucdlib:43945

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 November 23 20:26 GMT (UK) »

This looks like it should be so useful for me! But I don't see the women I am looking for in it. The crime was murder (later manslaughter) and this book seems to say it was for crimes related to dishonesty? I have their Mountjoy General Register of Prisoners, but it doesn't spell out the outcome other than one was released "by order of the Lord's Justice" a few days before the assizes were supposed to take place.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 November 23 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Do you know, by any chance, if any of the records of the the police court have survived? I asked the archive but they weren't familiar with the name. The case I am interested in was scheduled for the assizes but was dropped before it went to trial.

According to the National Archives description page, they don't survive - or at least are not held by the NAI.
https://www.nationalarchives.ie/article/guide-court-records-ireland-pre-1922/

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 November 23 21:06 GMT (UK) »

This looks like it should be so useful for me! But I don't see the women I am looking for in it. The crime was murder (later manslaughter) and this book seems to say it was for crimes related to dishonesty? I have their Mountjoy General Register of Prisoners, but it doesn't spell out the outcome other than one was released "by order of the Lord's Justice" a few days before the assizes were supposed to take place.

You would enable others to potentially help you if you were to post details.