Author Topic: Ancestry Two-step verification with DNA accounts not your own  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ancestry Two-step verification with DNA accounts not your own
« on: Monday 06 November 23 11:16 GMT (UK) »
I manage two  DNA tests other than my own, which are linked to the owners' email accounts, because that is how they have to be set up.

Normally there's no need for me sign into them, but I came to realise recently that if someone wants to message about the trees attached, they - naturally - message the account holder, who in these two cases isn't interested, and won't notice. So now and again I sign in to check.

It isn't possible to attach more than one ancestry account to an email, so it seems that the only way to get around the Two-step verification is for me to create two more email accounts that I have access to, and change the emails on the Ancestry accounts.   

Is there a simpler way to deal with this?

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SplanK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Two-step verification with DNA accounts not your own
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 November 23 18:00 GMT (UK) »
I see there is an option to either send the OTP to an email, but can also be done to a phone, and the latter might get around your issue?
Harding/Jones/Walters/Coates in Stoke on Trent
Calderbank/Baxendale/Swift/Massey in Chorley and Standish

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 November 23 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Reading the Ancestry blurb using the same mobile phone number on each account looks like the best option, at least for now.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 November 23 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.  Yes that works.  I suppose I was expecting that I would have the same problem using one number for all logins as with email and didn't look at it properly.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 December 23 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry two step verification I can understand but trying to force you to have a gmail account or apple account is beyond belief.  I had a gmail account a few years ago and because I did not use it often enough it was deleted.  When I tried to create another email address it told me that I already had one and to change the password????

Another thing with gmail is that it does not like my email provider and blocks the email address.  If I ever receive an email via gmail I am unable to answer it because it is bounced back by gmail.

The other problem I have is I do not have a smart phone and have no wish to purchase one.  We have a landline to our home.

Asking ancestry to send the code to my email address they already have is beyond belief.  It takes 15 minutes to an hour to receive their code.  Who are they sending this code through, gmail!!!

I have been a subscriber with ancestry since 2003.  I am still waiting to hear when they have been able to fix the issue of the receipt of the code within the 5 minute time frame.

Has anyone else experienced this and how did they go around this please?

Kind regards  Judi

Offline garrvian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 24 01:08 BST (UK) »
Good morning Judi,
Have experienced the same problem and got no satisfaction. Like you, no gmail a/c or need for it otherwise, don't use an apple computer, and when request a code nothing happens. Have noticed the two step verification code is "disabled" in account settings and when changed, nothing happens and it stays or reverts to disabled. Calls to the call centre are answered by someone whose first language is not English and they appear to be continually checking the "play book" or referring to a "supervisor" and have little or no understanding of the issue. Very dissatisfied, but will try the call centre again.
Best wishes,
Garry

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 April 24 02:30 BST (UK) »
Good morning Garry,
It took until the middle of February to finally get satisfaction and I telephoned them and spoke with a lady named Gina who assisted.  I ended up getting the email provider to monitor what was happening with my messages and they were receiving them the same length of time to their server.  As luck would have it they set up a webmail account with the parent company so I could get Ancestry emails through this one however it was not with issue and this is when I telephoned Ancestry and speaking to Gina. 

Ancestry would not accept their email address they gave me so what Gina did was to set the email address herself on the Ancestry server and then sent me a code to make sure I could log into Ancestry using the email address.  All in all it took about 30 minutes to set up by Ancestry, send me the code and waited until I logged out and then logged back in a couple of times with say a 5 to 10 minute delay between doing this.  I had no problems after this, thank goodness.  I also have an account with MyHeritage and their code reaches me in no more than 2 minutes.  They went over to two step verification as well and this worked like a charm as well.  If other platforms can get the verifications working smoothly what is the problem with Ancestry getting it right as well, who knows.  I wish you well and perhaps you could investigate with your email provider to see if something can be done for you.

Kind regards  Judi