Author Topic: Kirby with Brompton  (Read 156 times)

Offline buona

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirby with Brompton
« on: Monday 06 November 23 12:36 GMT (UK) »

I have an ancestor who was connected with Mennil Hall Kirby with Brompton in the 1700’s.  I have trawled the internet until my head is swimming to find out something about it – but to no avail.  I can find nothing.  Does anyone have any information or know anything about it.  I would be grateful for any help.
buona

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kirby with Brompton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 November 23 15:23 GMT (UK) »
There is a Meynell Hall at Kirkby with Great Broughton - does that fit the bill?

Offline buona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 November 23 15:51 GMT (UK) »

Maybe!  I will do some research on Meynell Hall and see where it leads.  I am still confused though with all the Kirby’s that keep cropping up - Yorkshire/Cleveland.  Another reference to it is my ancestor’s burial record 1758 which states he was “Mr Ralph Hill of “Menil Hall, Cleveland.”  Thank you for your reply.
buona

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 November 23 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Kir(k)by is common as it means a village with a church - the county of Yorkshire at one time extended into what are now parts of Lancashire to the west, bits of Lincolnshire and what is now Teesside. Cleveland was an historic area of Yorkshire - the county called Cleveland only lasted from the mid 1970s to the mid 1990s.
Kirkby with Great Broughton is in Cleveland

Offline buona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 November 23 16:49 GMT (UK) »

Thank you for responding.  I had already come across the fact that Cleveland County only existed from the mid 1970's - 1990's.  I can only assume they used an existing name.  The burial record of 1758 definitely says Cleveland.
buona