Author Topic: Trying to find Military Medical Records from 1947  (Read 242 times)

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
Trying to find Military Medical Records from 1947
« on: Monday 06 November 23 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to locate the whereabouts (if they still exist) of hospital records relating to Alfred George Mason of the Royal Army Service Corps. He enlisted in Oct 1945.
In June 1947, Alfred was serving in Austria where he had an accident, resulting in damage to his spine. He underwent extensive medical treatment before being medically discharged in 1950.

I have basic service records, but nothing relating to any medical treatment.  Would anyone know if military medical records for this period would still be in existence and, if so, where they may be held.  I have no idea if the hospital in Austria would have been a Military Hospital or a civilian one.

A long shot, I know, but I thought I'd ask.
Thanks,
Thudders
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Military Medical Records from 1947
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 November 23 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Medical documents are certainly retained after a serviceman leaves, in case there are subsequent claims against the MOD, as was the case with those who witnessed the atom bomb tests and claimed that this caused cancer. However these documents are not released along with the standard service documents on confidentiality grounds. My understanding is they would only be released if there was a legitimate medical reason, eg evidence of some genetic condition affecting a descendant, and even then they would only be released to the descendant's doctor. The only other circumstance might be a legal claim against the MOD for medical negligence etc although the limitation period for that has long gone in this case.

Offline AncestryPete

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 November 23 16:20 GMT (UK) »
A friend wanted information on an injury suffered by his late father in Ulster in the 1970's and requested copies of his service documents from the MOD specifically also requesting copies of any paperwork within the file which was pertinent to that injury (petrol bomb).  It was provided although the most of the remaining medical file was redacted.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Just for information, here's something I noted in a seminar hosted by TNA some time ago.
There were originally 275 tons of WW1 medical records, covering all injuries, diseases and ailments suffered by soldiers (the figure may have included sailors). Only a 1%  sample was retained. This amounts to 2389 record boxes, still weighing 2 1/2 tons. These documents include 2078 Admissions  & Discharges Registers (MH 106 / 1 - 2078); 306 Medical Cards and sheets (MH 106 / 2079 - 2384) and 5 reference volumes used by the Ministry of Pensions (MH 106 / 2385 - 2389).

You can search the index to the collection in "British Armed Forces, First World War Soldiers Medical Records" on Find My Past.

No information was given about the medical documents relating to those who served in WW2.

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 23 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies.
I'll explore all suggestions offered.  Hopefully something may turn up.

Thudders
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool