Author Topic: Paying for hot water in your billy  (Read 491 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paying for hot water in your billy
« on: Wednesday 08 November 23 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone remember taking their billy on picnics and getting boiling water to make tea whilst out and about?  Did the shop keepers give this for free or did you have to pay for it?  For how long did this custom continue?  Appreciate any memories

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Paying for hot water in your billy
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 November 23 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks cupoflife,  what a collection of interesting articles. Thank you.  It appears that the cost of buying hot water for your tea in those days was often complained about as being too expensive.It varied from place to place but I have not found anywhere that it was offered for free (except your own home perhaps!!!).   Thanks for the great reply

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 November 23 23:08 GMT (UK) »
We were posh- always had thermoses!! And a tin of sandwiches - egg and lettuce and chutney with slices of whatever left-over meat there was from the Sunday roast - no lettuce added as Mum said it made the sandwiches soggy.
But we didn't camp, only out for day trips.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 23 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Diverging a little from the billy chat, I am reminded by Judith's comments that things were so very much more environmentally kind in those times.

Yes, the sanwiches in a tin which was rinsed out for next time and no such thing as a take-away cup.  You used the lid of the thermos.

My school lunch was in a tin recycled from a gift of "mixed biscuits" and the sandwiches kept fresh with a cotton napkin.  The only wrap available was greaseproof paper and that went round an apple cut in pieces.

Yes, Mum used her own knife, time and skill to cut the apple.  ::) I see many school lunchboxes in the course of my work and cut up apple now comes in little sealed plastic packets  from Woolies.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 23 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, Sue - taking lunch in a tin with a cotton napkin and your apple already cut up!!!  Mine were wrapped in waxy paper in a brown paper bag  (which Mum wanted us to bring home but I don't think we did that very often) and the apple was definitely left whole!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 23 23:00 GMT (UK) »
We used to have one of these for my parent’s hot drink on picnics
https://www.homegrownbotanica.co.nz/products/copper-thermette-the-original-nz-invention

I am quite sure it didn’t cost this much though! And nor was it copper. Dad’s one was orange.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 November 23 05:54 GMT (UK) »
thanks mckha489.   Don't think I have ever seen one of these. Good to know!

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 November 23 05:57 GMT (UK) »
thanks judb, We had a thermos later on but initially it was a billy and loose leaf tea.  I am surprised to see how many complaints made it to the paper about the cost of buying boiling water.  Some shop keepers/ kiosks must have made a good profit at this time.  Thanks for contributing