Author Topic: Leonard Bradley  (Read 297 times)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leonard Bradley
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Lennard Robert Bradley was an accountant and had been travelling back and forth between UK and Nigeria since 1909. He and his wife Gertrude Ellen (nee Froggatt) had arrived in UK on 10 June 1917 and he was returning to Lagos on the Umgeni.

I doubt very much that he was in the army.

Addresses to check out:  5 Rosemount Terrace, North Finchley
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1518/images/30807_A000636-00169

and Eastham Court, Tenbury
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1904/images/31874_222791-00304

I agree with Shaun that he wasn't in the Army. I have found a passenger list showing that he arrived in Liverpool on the 10th June from Lagos. His occupation is that of an Accountant aged 40 years. There is no way that he could have enlisted, been trained, and on his way back to Africa 5 months later. (image courtesy of Ancestry)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, may I ask where you discovered that he had been travelling since 1909?

Passenger lists (L R Bradley). To Forcados 1909, 1910, 1911, and to Lagos 1913,1914,1916.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much for the all of the information. My friend will be extremely pleased with it.

Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Passenger lists (L R Bradley). To Forcados 1909, 1910, 1911, and to Lagos 1913,1914,1916.

Add to that his final voyage on the Umgeni departed 31 October 1917. His destination port was Iddo.

Transcribed on Ancestry as T R Bradley, and on FindMyPast as L R Boadley.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 November 23 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shaun.
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg