Author Topic: Marriage within the LDS communities.  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage within the LDS communities.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 22 December 23 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

bbart, Lisa and others:
 I have been waiting impatiently for the Marriage Certificate for Laura Maria Ashford to William Arthur Jones.

It has arrived and the names are mostly as we thought they would be, as above.  Laura's second given name is "Marie"  not "Maria"

Bbart;  Yes William is a doctor - more so he is a "Surgeon" . He is 39 yrs and Laura is 21yrs. Married in the district of Southwark in the County of London.  The year is 1908.

I shall PM you.   

Essnell

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 December 23 11:16 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest that the the word being queried 2 posts ago is Commission. Then the entry would read,

Commission Agent Coat

Possibly a Commission Agent for the sale of Coats?

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 22 December 23 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Essnell
I received your pm, but I have a house full of company over Christmas, so I will leave the Laura issue until I can sift through everything. Her wandering age is throwing off the timeline! 

But as to your recent query; Gibel is on the mark with the suggestion of "commissioner"

This is from the Cumberland & Westmorland Herald  - 01 November 1902, and may be of some help, and as I am short of time, typed rather rapidly and probably full of typos!

COMMISSION AGENT GETS A DIVORCE
A Westmorland Co-respondent

Evidence was led before Lord Kincairney in an action of divorce by Henry Orchard Brown, commission agent, 278 St. Vincent-street, Glasgow, against Margaret Murdoch Gibson or Brown, 90 Church-street, Toronto, Canada..  The pursuer (42) said he was married to the defender in April, 1894, and one child had been born.  They lived in Glasgow, and subsequently at West Kilbride, and while there the defender travelled daily to Glasgow for millinery lessons, and later to look after a millinery business that had been taken. 
In May, 1901, pursuer noticed a letter about shares, in which his wife was interested, from a man called Cowperthwaite, whom the pursuer did not know.  The defender said she had been introduced to Cowperthwaite by a friend, but pursuer learned that she had got acquainted with him at the Post Office. Subsequently the man came to the house at West Kilbride, and pursuer was introduced to him.  He stayed in the house against the pursuer's desire, and on subsequent occasions he spent the week-ends at pursuer's house on the invitation of the defender.  The defender was frequently away from home for week-ends, and stated that she had been staying with friends.  The pursuer had given the defender 19 shares of the value of £100 each.
On 19th September, 1901, defender left home ostensibly on a few days' visit to friends at Bellshill, but other information led him to believe she had gone abroad, and inquiries he made showed that Cowperthwaite had left his employment in the Post Office at the same time.  She had never been back, nor had she communicated with the pursuer in any way.
First-Officer Newman, s.s. Tritonia, said that a Mr. and Mrs. Cowper and a little girl occupied the same state room on the vessel, travelling as husband and wife, from Glasgow to Montreal in September, 1901.  He identified the defender and Cowperthwaite as Mr. and Mrs. Cowper.
Other evidence was led, and decree was granted.
We are informed the Cowperthwaite is a native of Orton, and that his wife, whom he deserted, is the daughter of Mr. William Buck, late of Newbiggin, Ravenstonedale, now of Whiby, Yorkshire.  She is one of the seven nurses now under training at Plaistow, London, under the auspices of the Cumberland Nursing Association, where she has shown great efficiency, having attended over 300 midwifery cases in less than three months successfully.  She will be returning at the beginning of the year to Cumberland having been engaged by the Association for three years.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 December 23 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest that the the word being queried 2 posts ago is Commission. Then the entry would read,
Commission Agent Coat
Possibly a Commission Agent for the sale of Coats?
Are you sure it's not Coal rather than Coat?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 December 23 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi  again Everyone,

Forfarian, Bbart and Gibel ,

First the coat.  This  information comes off the 1901 Census for Scotland.  I don't have the original but I shall endeavour to   get that . I have the Transcription Record ..   Now that might just be the issue. 

That does say exactly as I asked  " Jeommession Merchant Coat. "     Sounded quite odd to me. 

On that record there is one aged 39 one 34 and a 5yr old    whom I believe is Eliza M H Brown born C 1896.

Essnell

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 December 23 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi  again Everyone,

Forfarian, Bbart and Gibel ,

First the coat.  This  information comes off the 1901 Census for Scotland.  I don't have the original but I shall endeavour to   get that . I have the Transcription Record ..   Now that might just be the issue. 

That does say exactly as I asked  " Jeommession Merchant Coat. "     Sounded quite odd to me. 

On that record there is one aged 39 one 34 and a 5yr old    whom I believe is Eliza M H Brown born C 1896.

Essnell

I know very little about Scottish records.  If this hasn’t already been mentioned, is it possible to view other transcription records from the same page?  When I’ve found confusing details from Canadian records for a particular ancestor, I’ve noticed that there are several discrepancies on the page (for other individuals).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 December 23 08:09 GMT (UK) »
It most likely will take awhile to find a pattern (in the 1901 census), but here is one result of a possible neighbour with a “typo”.

1901 West Kilbride
Ebenzer Cook, age 23
Where born - West Kilbride, Ayrshire
Registration Number - 620
Registration district - West Kilbride
Civil parish - West Kilbride
County - Ayrshire
Address - Gardners Cottage
Occupation - Locomotine Fireman

In this case, v was mistaken and n inserted.

(Not to mention that his name was shortened, if the 1891 census was correct with Ebenezer.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 December 23 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Just popping in quickly:
On most electoral records, Henry Orchard Brown is an "agent", but on a couple, he was a "colliery agent, as was his probate record, so Forfarian is on track with  "coal" instead of "coat".

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 December 23 08:18 GMT (UK) »
The Scotland Census records I have purchased are of the full page.
1911 Census is 2 page format.

I know very little about Scottish records.  If this hasn’t already been mentioned, is it possible to view other transcription records from the same page?  When I’ve found confusing details from Canadian records for a particular ancestor, I’ve noticed that there are several discrepancies on the page (for other individuals).
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland