Author Topic: Marriage within the LDS communities.  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage within the LDS communities.
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 December 23 08:28 GMT (UK) »
1901 census - West Kilbride
Robert Craig, born c1883
Occupation - Commission Agent Assistant

Possibly worked with Mr. Brown?

Added:  Robert’s father’s occupation was Draper & Tailor.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 December 23 08:34 GMT (UK) »
The Scotland Census records I have purchased are of the full page.
1911 Census is 2 page format.

I know very little about Scottish records.  If this hasn’t already been mentioned, is it possible to view other transcription records from the same page?  When I’ve found confusing details from Canadian records for a particular ancestor, I’ve noticed that there are several discrepancies on the page (for other individuals).

I was hoping to find a clue or two without having to order the original.   ;)  Apologies for the confusion; sadly, I do tend to do that.

Very interesting about the 1911 census being two pages!  Thank you for sharing; it’s great to expand my knowledge, especially when I know very little about Scottish records.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 December 23 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone   I have now got a copy of the original, Cost me 5 credits but worth that. 

Yes there has been a transcribing error.  The C is quite fancy and flamboyant easily mistaken for a "J" or "G"  So in my mind definitely Commission Agent Coal  - not   "Coat" .

Now that works well with everything else so far.

Also the other two people are  Margaret M   and Eliza M.H.

So that is that bit sorted. 
  As for being able to view other pages . I doubt it as it's all through a search engine with specifics for the individual. You need an account but that's free copied viewed cost 6 credits.

Cheers  and Happy Christmas to ye all.

Essnell.

Online Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 31 December 23 00:18 GMT (UK) »
HI everyone,

Bbart has done it again, absolutely brilliant searching and my special thanks to this rootschatter. 

After much searching a time line and some dates and addresses linking, Laura was confirmed as being born  in 1880 in Bruisyard, which is in the Hoxne district.
Frederick Mark Mornement's family are also from Hoxne originally.

Laura did marry William Arthur Jones in 1902. She never married Frederick as far as is know.  William was not
  the best of husbands and neither was her father much good. So she ran away to USA with Fred.
William died in jail in 1912.
Laura did return to England in 1916 and then back to USA in 1919 to find that Fred has married Elise Margaret Brown / Cowperthwait.

Bbart has not found Laura anywhere after 1919.

Last night I found a Laura M Jones married to Moses Lloyd in 1929. This couple are also on the 1939 register.
I have already messaged Bbarb with this information..
Bbarb had found that her sister, Ellen died in 1926 and Laura sent a wreath as recorded in Ellen's Obituary.   

I shall now acquire the Marriage Cert to Moses Lloyd and Ellen's Death Cert.  Just to close off the loose ends.
This has been an enormous roller-coaster ride and I cannot thank every enough for all the helpful input. :) ;D
Essnell
Ps I'll let you all know what those Certs say  ES

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 31 December 23 01:18 GMT (UK) »

Last night I found a Laura M Jones married to Moses Lloyd in 1929. This couple are also on the 1939 register.

The birth years on this 1939 are way, way off, with Laura being 1904, so if you haven't ordered it, don't! Or if you have, is there a cancel option?

Laura may have stayed in the USA, and arranged a wreath to be sent to Rose's funeral from there.  I'm still poking around the American records, but she is hiding well, no matter what country she is in!

Online Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 31 December 23 02:35 GMT (UK) »

Hi  again,

Bbart   No I haven't ordered the marriage cert nor have I checked  the 1939 Reg.  I have gone looking for Laura's sister's death.   but used only Ellen so got that off base totally.  Try again.  I'm just curious.

I could cancel if in the middle of ordering but I don't think so otherwise.    Anyway, I have not got that far. 
Thanks for letting me know.
Essnell.

Online Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 27 January 24 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone, 
Thank you for all the fantastic searching done here .  I have tried to fill in a few gaps from the earliest part of the thread.  Thus I have returned to Elsie M H Brown  or Eliza M H Brown.   

One is the daughter of Henry Orchard Brown and Margaret Murdoch Gibson. The 1901 Census shows one child Eliza M H Brown  born 1896.  A child of this description was on the ship from England to USA  with Mr and Mrs Cowper.  This couple were identified in the divorce proceedings initiated by Henry Orchard Brown at the end of 1901 and heard in Court 1901.

My issue here is that there appears to be no Birth records for either / or or both of these children in Scotland. 
 Margaret Murdoch Gibson, their mother, apparently was a member of an LDS community in Renfrewshire, Scotland.

I have now acquired the marriage record in Scotland for Henry Orchard Brown and Margaret Murdoch Gibson 1894 , after reflections, and linked to that the recording of the divorce  which was in granted to Henry Orchard Brown, Oct 31st 1901 and entered the books Jan 1st 1902.
Thus concrete evidence of the marriage and divorce. 

I have done another search of the ScotlandsPeople  site to find the daughter born in 1895, Elsie Margret Hyslop Brown. After several vain attemps I finally used Renfrew on the search with as little other info as possible. Over 100 came up so slowly went through and finally found her.

Parents Henry and Margaret as above.   Birth place is Bart, Renfrew, Renfrewshire, Scotland. in Dec 1895.

As to the child born in Carolina as on previous information  I do not know. 

However I would like to find where Elsie and her mother and Stepfather were after their move to USA. 
Anyone any ideas.
Essnell.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 27 January 24 10:31 GMT (UK) »
However I would like to find where Elsie and her mother and Stepfather were after their move to USA. 
Anyone any ideas.
Essnell.

Just quickly, to get you started:

The divorce notice said they believed Margaret was residing in Ontario, Canada.
She had a daughter there in 1902, naming her Margaret Gibson Cowperthwaite, (the daughter Margaret later marrying in Ontario, and names the correct parents).
Margaret and Edward moved to California, USA by 1904, as they had a daughter Mona there.

In the 1910 USA census, Edward, Margaret, Elsie, Margaret Jr, and Mona, and companion Miriam Roberts (who I saw on a passenger list accompanying Margaret and all 3 children, from England to USA to join husband Edward).  They are living in Sausalito, Marin, California, and Edward is a commission broker.

However, the whole family is back in England for the 1911 census, staying at the Kenilworth Hotel, in St Giles in the Field.

Later in the year, (June 1911), Edward returns to the USA alone, arriving New York.
In October 1911, Margaret and the kids sail to the USA to join Edward..... but he has taken up with someone new (Eva)..  Edward and Eva bounce around a lot, living in various places in England, and traveling a lot.  It appears they had some children.

1920 census: Margaret and the 2 youngest children are in Marin, California, and Elsie is with her husband, Frederick Mornement, in San Franscisco.

To track Edward, he seems to be using the surname Thwaite, with Cowper as a middle name a lot of the time.

If you google "Bright Seas, Pioneer Spirits: A History of the Sunshine Coast  cowper-thwaite"  you should be able to find an excerpt of a book, possible about your Edward...showing he wasn't really a broker, but a bit of a "scam artist".

Online Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 28 January 24 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bbart,

Thank you once again.    I saw Margaret Gibson Cowperthwaite  Need to go back to her and Mona .

I'll follow the rest and let you know. 

Is there a place where the full proceedings for the divorce are or were kept?   

I will be back eventually.

Thank you   Essnell.